U.S. Presidents

Roberta

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:04 pm
I was watching a reality TV show, and one person asked another if he could name all 44 presidents. The askee couldn't.

Could I? The answer is a resounding no. I listed 35 and pooped out. Then I looked online. Oh, him. Oh, well.

How many can you name without looking online?

Just wondering.

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:29 pm
I can name them all, although i can't swear to the order. Harrison through Lincoln is a bit vague for me, although i don't forget the names. The sequence with Cleveland, Arthur and Harrison is somewhat vague for me, too.
Roberta

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:33 pm
@Setanta,
I was sure you'd show up, set. And I was sure that you'd be able to name them all. I wasn't concerned about order. Having Cleveland twice threw me.

I knew there were two Adamses, Johnsons, Roosevelts, and Bushes. Didn't get both Harrisons (William Henry and Benjamin).
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:34 pm
@Roberta,
I'd have trouble telling you what I had for breakfast this morning. I'd have trouble naming the starting quarterbacks for all the teams in the NFL...and I watch football all the time. I'd have trouble naming all the teams in the NFL.

Lemme see...George Washington....ahhhh...ahhh...

...nope, cannot do presidents.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:42 pm
I got 36.
One that I forgot I'm embarrassed about.
Three more, I should have known.
Four more are fuzzy memories I wouldn't have thought of if I had some more hours.
I'm sure my sequence is way off - I just looked in wiki and the sequence does jump a bit in the middle.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:50 pm
I know the names of them all, but I don't have the sort of recall to write them down. Anyway, it's enough that I know who it is when I encounter any of them while reading or whatever.
Roberta

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:50 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, There's one I missed that causes me embarrassment. Reagan. Embarrassed Not embarrassed that I missed Polk (among others).
Roberta

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgar, You know them all! I've certainly heard of them all. And I recognize all their names. But trying to come up with those names was another matter.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:54 pm
@Roberta,
When I read the topic, I was going to try naming them all. (Actually, I do quite well on Jeopardy! in the President category. But I named Washington to myself...and then actually got hung up. I knew it was Adams/Jefferson or Jefferson/Adams, but I honestly could not come up with an answer I woulda bet the ranch on.

Might be early onset somethingorother...or maybe I have become a moron!

But after faltering at number 2...I did not even try the rest.
Roberta

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I didn't ask that you name them in order. And it took me a while to come up with the 35.

I mentioned Alzheimer's to one of my doctors. He said he thought I was too young. I said that I always was precocious. Don't be so hard on yourself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:00 pm
@Roberta,
Benjamin Harrison was William Henry's grandson. He was also a minority president who won in the Electoral College. I believe it was Clevland, Arthur, Cleveland--although i'd have to look it up. Benajamin Harrison was in the same era, but i can't place him in order.
Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:02 pm
@Setanta,
OK, it was Arthur, Cleveland, Harrison, Cleveland.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:23 pm
@Roberta,
Exactly what I meant.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 09:01 pm
@Roberta,
Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama.......

Truly mind-blowing to think my lifetime spans the administrations of more than 25% of U.S. Presidents.

Feeling .......OLD.

roger

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 09:14 pm
@nextone,
Know what you mean. Roosevelt was mine first. No surprise considering how many terms he occupied.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 09:19 pm
@Roberta,
Great brainteaser.

I got to 32 and bogged down a bit. Then I struggled mightily and finally got to 39 out of the 43 different Presidents without looking. My 3 stumpers were Taylor, McKinley, Harding and the other Harrison (forgot there were 2).

I had to write out the letters of the alphabet and see if that could jar my memory, I got 8 more that way.
Roberta

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:37 am
@Ragman,
set, So the Harrisons were related. Glad you got the order right. From my perspective, order shmorder. I couldn't get to 40--in any order.

nextone, I was born during the Truman administration. And I completely forgot about Reagan. Do I have to count him?. OK. I guess I do. That's a lot of presidents.

Ragman, To you brainteaser. To me brain torture. I too struggled mightily. Tried the alphabet. Still couldn't get more than 35. I think counting Cleveland twice is from hunger. I had enough trouble remembering him once. If I hadn't gone to Taft High School, I would have gotten only 34.
Ragman

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 06:05 am
@Roberta,
hahaha. You cracked me up. I enjoy torturing my brain. However, to remember my latest date's names, I cheat. I only go out with Lindas.

I don't think I said anything about getting the order right. That was someone else.

I had a fair sense of order from 1920 onward, then again first 6 Prez and some sense immediately around Linloln. Messed up in between those clumps.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 06:19 am
@Roberta,
It's too early in the morning to do any of this dangerous mental lifting. Even if I was wide awake in the peak of the day, I couldn't do any of this recollecting and formulating into a long list without actually writing the list down in front of me so I wouldn't get stuck on the occasional repeating of certain answers I'd already given. Plus seeing the names next to each other, it'd help me to remember which president came before and after. Then again, I'm sure I'd have a difficult time getting all of the 19th century presidents. I'd do best on the 20th century ones. Pretty sure of that.
Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 01:09 am
@tsarstepan,
tsar, Yup, writing down the names helps.
0 Replies