Compilation CD's - thumbs up or down?

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 02:39 pm
I know plenty of people who prefer to get each CD as it comes out, but for the most part 90% of the CD's I've come across only have 3-4 songs on it that are actually good (or rather that I actually like). For my most favorite artists who never seem to let me down, I will buy each album of theirs faithfully, but for the rest, I'll buy the compilation. Like the new Joe Cocker compilation CD "Ultimate Collection"..I would never consider myself to be a fan of Joe Cocker, but there is not one song on the album that I do not like. I've found a new respect for him as an artist. To me, compilation CD's are like a clip show. No new plots, no new stories or new characters, but just a wam-bam-thank-you-ma'am of the best moments of the life of the show...and Joe has been leading his "show" for more than 30 years, so you can bet that his new album is packed with brilliant songs. so you tell me...compilation CD or original CD's?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 909 • Replies: 6
No top replies

eoe

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 02:49 pm
One thing about compilations. Sometimes they cut the song, don't record the entire intro or finale for instance, and I say, if you're not gonna present it as it was originally done then leave it the hell alone. That drives me crazy! There ought to be a law...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 02:59 pm
They are great when you're not sure, though - as an introduction.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 09:21 pm
I often find I buy an album for a particular song, end up hating it but loving the rest.
Some albums I couldn't imagine not owning but some compilations are great, especially some movie or tv soundtracks.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 10:10 pm
Survivor'sVital Signs "hit songs" all suck but some of the "B" songs are very good.
Billy Joel's Glass Houses practically is a compilation CD.
0 Replies

cough

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 05:22 am
Thumbs down.
They never have all the songs you want, they usually add teribble songs along with the good. The only good ones are those that are greatest hits of one band. Gotta love the RHCP Greatest Hits cd.
0 Replies

sweet majestic darkness

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 11:24 pm
I don't usually buy compilation cd's. I buy the cd and then burn all the good songs off of all my cd's and then take my homeade comp cd to work to listen to it all day.
0 Replies