Eating disorders

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:13 pm
If I do not eat enough and I feel guilty for eating, but I do not have a fear of gaining weight, and I actually know I am too skinny, but I don't eat because I don't feel like I'm worth living, then is it still considered an eating disorder?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,703 • Replies: 12
Topic Closed
No top replies

Ragman

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:23 pm
@skyblue11729,
Rolling Eyes

You have more emotional issues than just having an eating disorder. If you don't feel worthy of being alive, definitely seek out professional help. Having an eating disorder is probably a secondary issue at this point.
skyblue11729

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:27 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you. But would you really consider it an eating disorder? I thought eating disorders were when people didn't want to gain weight.
Ragman

Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:30 pm
@skyblue11729,
Quote:
If I do not eat enough and I feel guilty for eating, ...

Quote:
but I don't eat because ...

Firstly, surely, that behavior is an eating disorder. Why would you not think so?

Secondly, what is the difference what the name is of the disorder?

As I wrote before, not feeling that you are worthy of life is far bigger issue.

You really need to get professional help!
0 Replies

catherin

Wed 12 Dec, 2012 03:25 am
@skyblue11729,
Hi
In my opinion please remove your tension and do not take any tension.In this world we have only one life.That we can enjoy as well.You have to eat proper diet.
Thanks.
0 Replies

Serioussupplements

Tue 8 Jan, 2013 01:32 am
@skyblue11729,
Hello Friends,

Eating disorders are conditions defined by abnormal eating habits that may involve either insufficient or excessive food intake to the detriment of an individual's physical and mental health. Bulimia nervosa and anorexia nervosa are the most common specific forms in the United Kingdom. Bulimia nervosa is a disorder characterized by binge eating and purging, and anorexia nervosa is characterized by immoderate food restriction and irrational fear of gaining weight. Though primarily thought of as affecting females (an estimated 5–10 million being affected in the U.K.), eating disorders affect males as well. An estimated 10 – 15% of people with eating disorders are males (Gorgan, 1999). (an estimated 1 million U.K. males being affected). Although eating disorders are increasing all over the world among both men and women, there is evidence to suggest that it is women in the Western world who are at the highest risk of developing them and the degree of westernization increases the risk.Nearly half of all Americans personally know someone with an eating disorder. The skill to comprehend the central processes of appetite has increased tremendously since leptin was discovered, and the skill to observe the functions of the brain as well. Interactions between motivational, homeostatic and self-regulatory control processes are involced in eating behaviour, which is a key component in eating disorders.

Thanks and Regards,
MichalZalewski
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Tue 8 Jan, 2013 05:15 am
@skyblue11729,
Quote:
Thank you. But would you really consider it an eating disorder? I thought eating disorders were when people didn't want to gain weight.

Eating disorders occur when a person has a need to be in control of something, and use their body as a way of gaining that control.

People who have eating disorders have a distorted body image. They perceive themselves as fat, when they in reality, are the opposite.

The only way to solve this problem is with professional help. A good counselor or psychologist will help a person to discover why she has this abnormal need for control. He will help her to learn how to gain control in other areas of her life, and how to give up compulsive starvation.

People have died from eating disorders. The lack of nutrition has harmful effects on all body systems, including the heart.
chai2

Tue 8 Jan, 2013 06:14 am
@Phoenix32890,
sounds like the OP is trying to convince herself there's no problem by trying to pigeonhole what an eating disorder is into a neat little package.

Kinda like how someone with a drinking problem will say "I can't be an alcoholic because....." and picking out one little thing like "I don't drink before 5pm"
Phoenix32890

Tue 8 Jan, 2013 06:25 am
@chai2,
Right, Chai- I think that her denial is clouding her sense of the truth.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Tue 8 Jan, 2013 06:30 am
@skyblue11729,
Quote:
I actually know I am too skinny, but I don't eat because I don't feel like I'm worth living

This is really scaring me. It sounds that you are bound and determined to commit slow suicide.

Please, please, find yourself a good therapist, and find out why you are doing these things to your body.
0 Replies

MilonJones

Tue 29 Jan, 2013 11:47 pm
@skyblue11729,
Hello Friends,

Eating Disorders are serious and complex emotional and physical addictions. Without treatment eating disorders lead to mood swings, physical problems, and potential death. Eating Disorders include a range of conditions that involve an obsession with food, weight and appearance to the degree that a person's heath, relationships and daily activities are adversely affected.
Eating disorders are characterized by severe disturbances in eating behavior. The practice of an eating disorder can be viewed as a survival mechanism. Just as an alcoholic uses alcohol to cope, a person with an eating disorder can use eating, purging or restricting to deal with their problems. Some of the underlying issues that are associated with an eating disorder include low self-esteem, depression, feelings of loss of control, feelings of worthlessness, identity concerns, family communication problems and an inability to cope with emotions. The practice of an eating disorder may be an expression of something that the eating disordered individual has found no other way of expressing.

Thanks and Regards,
Milon Jones
0 Replies

questionanswer014

Tue 18 Mar, 2014 06:08 am
Basically, eating disorders occur when a person has an unhealthy relationship with food, either through restriction or compulsively overeating. Many people believe an eating disorder means that a person is thin, but in reality a person of any size or weight might have one, making it important to recognize other signs and symptoms.
0 Replies

spinecare01

Sun 20 Apr, 2014 10:44 pm
@skyblue11729,
Yes it is still considered as eating disorder. see a doctor as fast as you can
0 Replies