EXPERIENCE WITH PELLET STOVES ( Ive read websites already)

Sat 21 Jul, 2012 07:54 pm
I just got done building a two story workshop/studio. I have the option of going with a heat source that is either gas fored , resistance . maybe ground water heat pump, OR PELLET STOVE

My electrician uses a pellet stove to heat his fairly large rustic cabin (about 2500 square feet). ANY advice I can get (Ive already gotten tons of WEBSITE bullshit nd its all sales driven.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,232 • Replies: 11
Topic Closed
No top replies

edgarblythe

Sat 21 Jul, 2012 08:28 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 21 Jul, 2012 08:31 pm
There are many youtubes about pellet stoves.
farmerman

Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
thanks, Inever thought about Consumer Reports being interested in something so "down home:

I dont believe the "Gas is cheaper than pellet stove fuel"
We have a pellet extrusion company that makes these things from wood planks, bar endsm and pallets. They sell the pellets by the bag and load up at the plant is about half of what it sells in the wood stove stores. Also, buyig by the ton knocks off another amount.

I do need to do some cost comprisons by BTU and space heating requirements, as well as costs of the initial unit and pellets v "Burying a 1000 gal tank or installing s CNL storage..
Rockhead

Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:14 pm
@farmerman,
I don't have personal experience, but I have two friends that have them.

they both love them, but you kinda gotta watch them...

they plug up and don't feed right sometimes, especially until you get them dialed in.
farmerman

Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:24 pm
@Rockhead,
one concern my guy had too. He got over it by ******* with the worm gears or the hopper shaker (They have both)
0 Replies

aidan

Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:42 am
I don't know anything about the technology/comparative cost of them, but we had one in a sort of sunroom / extension in one of the houses we lived in in upstate New York. I LOVED it in that room. That became my favorite room in the house to be in in the winter. The pellet stove kept it really warm and it was much cleaner and easier to use than a wood stove, which I have had extensive experience with since we used one to heat the living room of the house in which we lived in Maine for eleven years.

I do like a fire in the winter- so if I lived somewhere with a real winter again - I'd get another pellet stove in an instant.
farmerman

Sun 22 Jul, 2012 04:38 am
@aidan,
did yours hve an air blower to distribute the warmed air? or was it more of a pssive conductor heat.
Im looking at the fan variety cause I have a large space to heat.
farmerman

Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:50 pm
@farmerman,
Curiouser and curiouser. Ive found information on several"multi-fuel" stoves that burn wood pellets, wood chips and shelled dry corncobs
aidan

Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:54 pm
@farmerman,
Yes - it had a blower.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sun 22 Jul, 2012 01:02 pm
@farmerman,
My friends in Germany have one - very charming, but it gets so freaking hot after an hour or so, they have to open a window.
0 Replies

roger

Sun 22 Jul, 2012 02:13 pm
@farmerman,
Hah! My mother's generation had a plain cast iron stove, and it mostly ran on corn cobs, too. Incredibly hot, so long as you stayed in the living room.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » EXPERIENCE WITH PELLET STOVES ( Ive read websites already)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:46:24