Usher - I'll probably catch grief for this...

chai2

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 06:26 am
So, below is a very tragic event, no doubt.
However, it kind of disgusts me that the media has to make this about the singer.

This child is, as stated below, the son of an ex-wife.
This child also has a living father, Ryan Glover.Equally horrible for him.

I write this because in the news story I read, they state this is Usher's stepson, but no mention of his fathers name.

Kyle Glover, the son of Usher's ex-wife Tameka Foster, was riding an inner tube on Lake Lanier in Atlanta, GA yesterday when a passing jet skier collided with the boy, striking him in the head and knocking him unconscious. He was airlifted to Atlanta's Egelston Hospital, where Usher joined him last night. TMZ says that he has shown no brain activity since being admitted to the hospital, and that a decision regarding his life support has not been made.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 923 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Eva

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 06:55 am
@chai2,
I read the same story and agree with you. It's bad journalism.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 07:05 am
@chai2,
True, but the only reason this is "news" is that Usher is involved. Do articles about injuries routinely mention parents at all? I'll have to look for some.
engineer

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 07:10 am
@engineer,
A quick (and completely unscientific) search through recent accident reports shows that news articles routine do not name the victims or their parents. It's always "A child was rushed to the hospital..."
Eva

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 07:29 am
@engineer,
News reports always name the people involved, with the exceptions of minors and those names that law enforcement requests be withheld.

Remember the "5 Ws and an H"? WHO, what, where, when, why and how...

It was sensationalistic (and bad form) to include the step-father's name and leave out the father. If I had been the father, I would have felt disrespected. This reads more like a statement from a celebrity's press agent than a news report.
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 07:44 am
@Eva,
I agree - other than if the father is non-existent. Maybe the father is not involved with the child. In that case it could be that Usher is more involved with the child than the actual dad. But of course the dad could have been at the child's side as well. No way for us to know.

But yeah we wouldn't even know about it (other than if it was local news) if he wasn't Usher's stepson.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 07:50 am
@Eva,
I would have thought so also but I did a search on "child injured" and the articles that came up did not mention names. Like I said, unscientific but telling.
Eva

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 07:56 am
@engineer,
As I said before, minors' names are typically withheld.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 07:58 am
Aha! The "news source" was TMZ. Explains everything.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 08:40 am
I try to watch TMZ sometimes, sometimes they report hilarious things, but mostly it seems to be:
"We have a shot of
____fill in the blank with the name of someone I have never heard of_____
leaving
___fill in the blank with the name of a bar I have never heard of, even in New York____
and the camera guy asked her this great question."

Cut to Harvey who makes quizzical face.

"He asked her if she thought the people inside needed more deodorant."

Everybody laughs.

Joe(thank god for the 24 hour news cycle, right?)Nation

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 08:49 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

True, but the only reason this is "news" is that Usher is involved.

That's exactly my point.

If it were your kid, it wouldn't even be news.

I did a quick lookup beofe starting this thread on Usher, via wiki.
He was married to the mother a brief time, the mother had more than one child by that man. From what I can tell he was not an absent father. In fact, it seems that Mr. Usher is notorious for his infideties during his marriages (but that's another story).

Why should I feel bad for this entertainer because the son of a woman he used to be married to, and was unfaithful to, is near death? I mean any more than I would feel badly for any person who is 3 degrees away from the situation?

My step daughters step dad died a little more than a month ago. We had a good relationship, but his death was no reason to offer me condolences.

My sincere condolences to the boys father and mother, and his siblings.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Usher - I'll probably catch grief for this...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/19/2024 at 03:36:08