Here are the ten steps toward supermodeldom:
1. Be at least five foot nine, weighing 110 to 120 Ibs. This would give you a body-mass index of about 16 to 18. "Models starve themselves, and we tell them to," says Richard Habberley, a top agent with Elite, which reps Victoria's Secret hottie Alessandra Ambrosio grin and Maybelline face Jessica White.
2. Be Photogenic. Send sample photos to a local or national modeling agency. Don't bother spending money on professional photos. Agents can spot your potential from one Polaroid. It also helps if you have whatever look is "in" at the time. This season, it is pale, otherworldly-looking girls who have one "flaw"--a large nose, a gap in her front teeth. Remember, next season, the in look could be completely out.
3. Get Signed. Move to a big city like New York and have a big agency, like IMG Models or Elite Model Management, behind you.
4. Be Quiet. Models don't say much of anything during their casting sessions and runway shows. "They have to be a beautiful blank slate," says model rep Ivan Bart.
5. Don't Party. Don't Be a Diva. Models who are late to a 9 a.m. hair and makeup session or come with bags under their eyes will quickly develop a bad reputation. "These are long days," says Edward Razek, who chooses which models get Victoria's Secret contracts. "Attitude is important. We are not interested in divas." Hear that, Naomi Campbell?
6. Befriend Powerful People. Getting noticed by an editor like Anna Wintour or a photographer like Steven Meisel can mean the difference between being an anonymous runway stalker or a famous supermodel.
7. Date Celebrities. Gisele Bundchen dated Leonardo DiCaprio and is now hooked up with quarterback Tom Brady. Kate Moss has an on-off (currently off) relationship with drug-addled Brit rocker Pete Doherty. If you're the face of Estée Lauder, choose your celebrity boyfriend wisely. The brand has a "morals clause" in its contract.
8. Expand Your Brand. Gisele Bundchen licenses her name to a footwear company and may be starting a lingerie line at H&M. Kate Moss has a line of clothing at retailer TopShop. Heidi Klum designs a line of jewelry through Mouawad.
9. Now You Can Talk. Tyra Banks has two TV shows (The Tyra Banks Show and America's Next Top Model); Heidi Klum has one (Project Runway). Gisele Bundchen has had roles in movies like Taxi and The Devil Wears Prada. Alessandra Ambrosio had role in HBO's Entourage.
10. Don't Gain Weight. Ever. Heidi Klum was lauded by the press for appearing runway-ready a mere eight weeks after giving birth to her second child. Shortly afterward, she renegotiated her deal with Victoria's Secret. Tyra Banks, who doesn't even model anymore, was excoriated for some paparazzi photos showing she'd gotten a bit wide in the hips.
Thanks and Regards,