On the Huckleberry June 19, 2012

jjorge

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 10:39 pm
On the Huckleberry June 19, 2012

It is 10. a.m. and I am walking along the Huckleberry Trail on the last full day of Spring. Today, like most days, I will walk four miles.

Soon after beginning, I pass a grandmother picking wild raspberries with a young boy.
"Now you gotta make a pie!" I yell, surprising myself.
"I'm gonna make jam." She says, as we exchange smiles.

Wearing shorts and bare to the waist, I have "all flags flying" (all my nineteen tattoos are showing) In the distance, facing me, are two women and two toddlers in a stroller. They are stopped and the women are dealing with a 'problem'. One of the toddlers is crying, and one is being rebuked. Then the latter is crying too.

When I am two strides from them, the crying stops as the toddlers stare at me in amazement. (I surmise that if their dads have tats they didn't go 'tattoo-loco', as most folks think that I have done!)

Without breaking stride, and leaning slightly in their direction, I address the tiny faces staring at me so intently, and I give words to their unspoken thought:
"Who is that funny-looking man?" I say, as their mothers smile and I smile back.

I am grateful for another sweet Spring morning.
I drink in trees and ledges, brooks and wildflowers, butterflies and birds -the sensuous woodland odor, My mind goes from sensation to reflection and back again, from mindfulness to reverie.

The sensory feast provokes old memories, until, wrenched back by a clamoring of senses,I am again in this very moment,

My thoughts, like that yellow butterfly in front of me, darting back and forth, go from now to then and back again, gleaning sweetness from both places.

There is no great excitement in my life, no ecstasy, no bliss, but I am happy just the same,
finding my joy by the spoonful.
-jjorge

[the Huckleberry Trail extends six miles from Blacksburg to Christiansburg Virginia]

roger

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 11:28 pm
@jjorge,
Puts me in mind of Morgan with his Lawnmower, and don't tell me you don't remember him from Abuzztime. Great story, as were his.

Lemme know next time you're in Albuquerque. I'll take you out for a cheeseburger. Bring shirt.
roger

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 12:57 am
@roger,
Wait. I forgot. It wasn't Morgan, it was morganwood.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 05:06 am
Morning, jjorge. I enjoyed it.
jjorge

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 05:10 am
@roger,
'Abuzztime', I love it! A name for our tribal memory...
and the mythos of our origins..

the Eden we were ejected from (was it 2002 or 2003?)
for our sin -of bringing NO REVENUE to Father Times!

I remember Morganwood, but only barely
-losing a thousand neurons daily has its price..

would truly love to visit you (and others in NM) some day!

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 05:25 am
@jjorge,
Quote:
There is no great excitement in my life, no ecstasy, no bliss, but I am happy just the same,
finding my joy by the spoonful.

I understand what you're saying, jjorge.
Same for me.

But the simple joys are so good!
This morning I checked out the (genuine!) Italian garlic cloves which a fellow worker had passed onto me to plant.
They had sprouted strong, green shoots.
I gazed at those strong green shoots in awe & amazement.
Now how could that have have possibly happened so quickly?
Dunno ... but it pleased me enormously. (I love garlic & I love the magic of planting stuff in the soil & seeing what eventuates! Smile )
-
jjorge

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 05:42 am
@msolga,
msolga, Yes, you do understand. :- )
msolga

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 05:43 am
@jjorge,
Smile
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 05:44 am
@edgarblythe,
morning, brother blythe!
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 06:36 am
@jjorge,
Being a ginger I never go shirtless in the naked sun. Consequently, yesterday morning as I was on my daily bike ride to the donut hut I was wearing my usual long sleeve t-shirt and broad brimmed hat that I wear while riding.

It was already 90 degrees and humid so as soon as I stopped riding my shirt and hat went limp with sweat as I was waiting in line for a 'cuppajoe & heartattack.'

Standing in line next to me was a regular, a pretty blond and tanned twenty something who asked me how I could stand wearing so much clothing while riding a bicycle on a such hot morning. I said its easy considering the alternative was burning between freckles and soon I'll be back in the wind and the wet teeshirt will cool going up the hill.

I love that ride. I'm on my way out now. Hope she's waiting in line for me.

Rap

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 06:52 am
@jjorge,
jjorge wrote:

My thoughts, like that yellow butterfly in front of me, darting back and forth, go from now to then and back again, gleaning sweetness from both places.

wonderful
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 06:58 am
@jjorge,
Lovely!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 07:07 am
@raprap,
nice narrative
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 07:20 am
five more spoonfuls for me...just seeing the names: 'roger', edgar, 'msolga', 'ehBeth', 'dlowan' -my day is off to a sweet start!

@raprap
hadn't 'met' you before, but I like your style!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » On the Huckleberry June 19, 2012
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 06:20:51