Why do woman always get shafted?

Eva

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 12:50 pm
heeheee......yeah, that too! Laughing

Seriously...I have seen far less backstabbing & gossip when working with men. If they don't like somebody or something, they just say so. Much easier to deal with, don't you think?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 01:33 pm
I heard a theory that suggests Jesus might have been a woman. Jesus had to whip up a last-minute feast for 5000 with no food around, Jesus spent years spreading a message that the men couldn't seem to wrap their heads around, and even after dying, Jesus had to get up again because there was still work to be done.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 03:34 pm
LOL!

Once again, my anecdotes vs yours.

The two "bitchiest" people I ever worked with were men - both of them very dangerously so - ie they were not just whiners, they plotted against people.

Other than them, I have little experience of workplace intrigue and backbiting, but where it has existed, it has been pretty equal.

I have worked with mainly men, and mainly women.

I prefer a roughly equal mix, most times, just cos any major sameness in the workplace is conducive to less interest, I think (I prefer a multi-disciplinary team for the same reason) - but, if I had to choose, I would probably go with more women - but it would actually really depend on the fun and intellectual stimulation factors of the people involved.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:36 pm
I wonder if gender equity within a profession might have some influence on whether individual he-persons or she-persons within that profession are more likely to be, as you say, bitchy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 07:33 pm
Hmmmmm - you mean the more equal it all is, the less "doggy", to be fair.

I agree, actually. I work in a profession where there is great gender equity, and we all have a lot of personal power and respect as professionals.

The "bitchy" men I mentioned were, I think, very incompetent people who believed that they were not appreciated for their wonderful skills and qualities - that they ought to have been in much higher positions. One of them was a boss of mine - and we did not obey him as he felt we ought.

I have certainly experienced way more "bitchiness" in jobs where people had very little power - like hospitality - you know, waiting and kitchen hands and such.....I saw no particular gender split re this - and nice people were nice no matter how menial the job.

Maybe I have just been extraordinarily lucky in my work career?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 07:37 pm
Worst boss I've ever had was a deeply insecure woman who tried to enhance her power by harassing whoever she felt she could get away with harassing (which is to say, younger women). I hated her intensely, but got away with anything because she was afraid to lock horns with someone who was 1) a man and 2) more qualified to do her job than her -- in that order.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 09:02 pm
I was the lead person in a machine shop. All went well except for one guy, "John", who would not take instruction from a woman. I had to go over to another shop and get their (male) supervisor to come tell John what to do! I transferred out of that job into an inspector's position...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 10:00 pm
Yep - insecure bosses are the pits. The fella I wrote about was one of those. A colleague and I were discussing a previous boss of hers last night. This boss, a woman, was fabulous while my friend was "one down" as it were - then she went and got her masters degree, and the boss became horrible - very vicious - presumably feeling insecure re relative positions, or something? Thing is, my colleague would NEVER let something as dumb as a new degree affect her attitude - she is a natural darling. Still, I know all about insecurity in other aspects of my life - I oughta be able to understand it in the workplace, I suppose.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 11:19 pm
I have seen all sorts of loops and swats in the workplace from both genders and have also thrived on working with people of both genders. In my beginning workplaces, there was room for women, me, for example, but mine might have been early examples of the reasonable workplaces.

I have railed before and will again about how women around 1960 weren't admitted, or barely at all, to med schools in the US, dunno about law school, think it was somewhat similar but probably not 1% -- but in my own workspaces, I was treated well and listened to, given responsibility for one lab and then some more for another. recruited for others. When I was there, the top people were the male md's,. Since then, 'our dishwashers', male or female, made it big. One phD in biochem, one degree in dentistry, one md, one tv anchor for a network.... Three of those were women.

So what, there was room in my work environment then for whoever rambunctiously worked hard to move ahead, and the people were diverse. Maybe that was nirvana, an awakening period.

I've seen the opposite too.

I remember a huge change right around 1963-1965, but this is slightly pre baby boomer. You will see big swaths of woman doctors and lawyers waving in just after that.

On the other hand, I have talked to physicians recently who have said the whole professionhas moved down, and doctors have become nurses...

Well, let me not go there, since I am not either one.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 08:22 am
Quote:
On the other hand, I have talked to physicians recently who have said the whole professionhas moved down, and doctors have become nurses...

Hmmm. Certainly I can imagine that GPs may not have the same sorts of responsibilities that they used to...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 08:33 am
Re: Why do woman always get shafted?
kerver wrote:
It's really getting to me lately. From everything like getting jobs, playing sports to how our body works and sex. I know us women are slowely making our way up there, but dammit can't we speed up the process some.

I just made a post on another thread, basically saying attitude is based on bullsh!t.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:17 am
This was a successful radiologist I was speaking with..
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:10 pm
Women Make Few Gains in Government

Quote:
By MARK JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
ALBANY, N.Y. - After making gains in the ranks of state-level policy-makers, the percentage of women holding such positions fell in the past two years, a university research group said.

In 1999 women held 29.8 percent of leadership posts appointed by governors. That number rose to 35 percent in 2001, but then dropped to 32 percent two years later, according to a report released Thursday by the Center for Women in Government & Civil Society at the University at Albany.

"The glacial rate of change is discouraging," said Judith Saidel, the study's project director. "Gubernatorial appointees across the country do not look like the people they are serving."

Massachusetts came out on top with 50 percent of its policy posts in the hands of women. At the other end of the scale was New Hampshire, where just 15.2 percent of those jobs were held by women, the center said.

Five states _ Massachusetts, Oregon, Florida, Iowa and Missouri _ had nearly the same percentage of women in the state population as in top policy-making jobs.

"We've come a long way, but this report reveals that we have a long way to go in attracting and retaining women in executive level positions," Democratic U.S. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said. "I'm also very concerned about the pay that women receive compared with men since they still earn only 76 cents for every dollar men earn in comparable positions."

Clinton's state of New York ranked 32nd on the list with 30.8 percent of the top policy positions held by women. California ranked 24th, with 32.4 percent and Texas was 28th, with 30.9 percent.

The number of top staff adviser positions in governors' offices shrank by about 16 percent from 2001 to 2003, reflecting part of the reason for the decline for women, the study said.

Women accounted for 38.2 percent of the top advisers to governors in 2001, down from 38.9 percent in 1999. Eight states have governors who are women _ five Democrats and three Republicans.

Policy leaders counted in the study include heads of state agencies, departments and offices, as well as top advisers such as press secretaries, chiefs of staff and legal advisers.

"As a woman who had a reasonably high-level management position in state government, I'd certainly like to see more women in positions of power and responsibility," said Barbara Zaron, president of the Organization of New York State Management Confidential Employees, the union representing state managers. "But we find women not reaching top levels in lots of levels our society nowadays."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 08:14 pm
A topic that went off on a tangent related to this thread -

I link here because I don't want to just repeat things.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18613
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 05:04 pm
dlowan wrote:
Lol! This crap about women bosses really craps me off.

More than half my bosses have been women. One of them was a sh*t.

Only the sh*t was competitive- and she was thus with everyone. One of the men was a sh*t.

Most of the rest of them, men and women, are still friends.

My anecdotes can match any anecdotes you have.

Crap bosses and fabulous ones come in all genders.

I worked for a functional illiterate with a fifth-grade (if that) education. I worked there exactly 2 days. She was the boss's cousin. He was pretty good, but totally blind to her complete incompetence & stupidity.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 05:05 pm
Diane wrote:
Kerver, as I've watched my sons grow up, I've noticed how the women's movement has changed all our lives--mostly for the better. I has sometimes been difficult for young men to know how to behave in certain situations, for example: my older son came home from school one day and said that a girl snarled at him for holding the door for her. I told him there was never anything wrong with good manners and that, as long as it wasn't done in a patronizing way, he should continue to behave in ways that are merely helpful, not acts of power or control. I felt the girl was really over-reacting.

That's happened to me. I usually slam the door in her face & walk away. Smile
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 05:07 pm
Eva wrote:
heeheee......yeah, that too! Laughing

Seriously...I have seen far less backstabbing & gossip when working with men. If they don't like somebody or something, they just say so. Much easier to deal with, don't you think?

Actually, that sounds like my wife--she tends to be bluntly honest (sometimes to the point of rudeness--if you ask if she likes your new outfit, you'll get an honest answer, even if she thinks it makes you look like an idiot).
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 11:09:23