UhOh!

Letty

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:37 pm
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=&e=8&u=/ap/20040215/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_monoculture

One of you techies explain this, please
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 891 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:36 pm
I am not a techie, but I think that I will have a shot at it. Most people use Microsoft products. If a serious virus attack hit Microsoft applications, there could be a serious problem that could have impact on the entire world.

For instance, let's say that a terrorist group found a flaw in Microsoft's operating system that it could shut down the banks, the hospitals, even the government.

If there were many other companies competing for the software business, and people had many different choices, the danger would be diluted.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:40 pm
Quote:
For instance, let's say that a terrorist group found a flaw in Microsoft's operating system that it could shut down the banks, the hospitals, even the government.

Well, that's what 'normal' hackers try to do since years, sometimes quite successfully. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:44 pm
Walter- The point is that Windows run computers are an integral part of just about every business and governmental agency, all over the world. Regular "hackers" can cause havoc. Imagine what would happen if terrorists, backed by a lot of funding, made a concerted effort to shut down the world's computers?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:47 pm
They would have any running computers themselves - besides, they were on Linux (like a couple of European governments et. al.) and left that out.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:50 pm
Thanks, Phoenix and Walter. Another Y2K, perhaps. Another reason why a monopoly is risky business.
0 Replies