Capital Punishment & Killings in the war

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 05:42 pm
Can someone please help me compare the moral issues raised by killing in war and capital punishment. Might a person take the view that capital punishment is unjustified, whereas killing in war is acceptable? Or should people who oppose capital punishment also be pacifists? Explain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,265 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Telamon

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 03:31 am
@ugolawgurl,
People can hold a combination of all sorts with this, I guess I’ll explain my reasoning on the topic with as little words as possible.

Moral issue of capital punishment-
I don’t find a moral issue with it, if somebody kills 30 people for entertainment than death is justified for them in my mind. However, There have been way to many people put to death that are later found innocent of their crimes. And until we find a flawless justice system (which I don’t see happening anytime soon), I would vote against such a form of punishment. With that said a higher form of living punishment should take place- put there ass to work! (so yes I’m for it, but no at the same time)
Moral issue of killing in war-
The problem here is that there is a lot of grey area, and it’s a pretty broad question when determining what kind of killings. A soldier patrolling the border of his base comes under fire- does he have a moral problem defending himself even if the result could, and most likely, be the death of another? Too many scenarios and too particulars to draw a moral line- at least on the battle front. Going to war, well that’s another question entirely.

All in all I don’t think the two are comparable. Death is given out in both cases, but the reasons can, and most likely, will vary greatly.
0 Replies