Well, we missed Gracie's birthday by a day.

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 02:15 pm
@Eva,
Hmmm. I didn't. But kids don't have lots of money and we can only do small stuff. I make cookies or brownies or cake for my dads birthday. And we make him breakfast in bed but that's it. Parents can make their own birthdays fun. You guys can go to clubs or bars or out to eat to fancy restaurants or travel or anything you like. You guys just 'choose' not to.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 02:19 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Reflection and contemplation? Not to be rude but that does sound boring. Who'd skip a party for reflection and contemplation? Laughing You can reflect and contemplate anytime. Birthdays are for fun! Its one day out of the whole year that's all about you. Don't you wanna do something awesome? I mean, all parents do is work and nag. You'd think they'd get as excited about their birthdays as we do.

Who said anything about skipping parties?? My wife and I have birthdays only about a week apart from each other, and we have a joint birthday party every year with about 30-40 of our friends.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's important to keep in mind that your priorities, and the things that make you happy, change over time. I don't have as much desire for excitement and adventure as I used to; I've done rock climbing and mountain biking for a long time, and let me tell you, there's plenty of adrenalin when you're 300 feet up on a cliff. And that's fun and all, and exciting; but I find these days that contemplation does the trick almost as well as competition, and that we shouldn't think that others are boring or unhappy just because they have different ways of enjoying themselves - even on birthdays.

On the one day of the year that's 'all about me,' I find myself spending a lot of time thinking about my friends and family instead of myself. I wish birthdays were reversed - you should give everyone else a gift on YOUR birthday, to thank them for being in your life. And it would work out better for everyone - you'd be getting gifts all year round, instead of just one day!

Cycloptichorn
Eva

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 02:24 pm
@GracieGirl,
Having to organize your own birthday party pretty much takes all the fun out of it. I've had to buy my own cards for my child to give me, buy and wrap my own presents, and even go get my own cake. That's why I stopped having parties. Now I just figure out what I want to do...see a movie that I choose, have a massage, eat at a favorite restaurant, etc., and I pick who gets to go with me.

I think it's great that you do stuff for your dad on his birthday. I bet he really looks forward to that.

Edit: That's a great idea, Cyclo! I love it!!
Roberta

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 02:29 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Have you ever been to Brazil or India or Spain? Those are gonna be the first countries I visit. Mr. Green

I was in Spain for a few hours. My plane stopped there when I was on my way to Italy. My friend spent a year in Spain. I met her at the airport, and we traveled on to Italy and England together.

Sorry. Nothing to report. The airport was, well, airporty. That's my report on Spain.

As for parties, old folks go to parties. Even I have been known to go to a party as a grown up.
GracieGirl

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 02:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Hmm. I never thought about it that way. Your right. I didn't mean that grown ups who don't celebrate their birthdays are boring or unhappy. And I'm really sorry if I offended you or anything. It did sound kinda bratty. I really didn't mean it that way. I just didn't get why some grown ups don't celebrate. I like doing stuff. I like parties and going to different places and having fun. I wouldn't wanna just stay home and do nothing on my birthday so I didn't get why grown ups do. Grown ups can have way more fun than kids. You have more money and cars and no rules.

I think that's a really nice idea and all but I wouldn't like that too much. I mean, atleast not every year. That's what Christmas is for.
sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 02:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
On the one day of the year that's 'all about me,' I find myself spending a lot of time thinking about my friends and family instead of myself. I wish birthdays were reversed - you should give everyone else a gift on YOUR birthday, to thank them for being in your life. And it would work out better for everyone - you'd be getting gifts all year round, instead of just one day!

This is a cool idea. I understand what you mean by it, too.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 02:57 pm
@Eva,
Well yeah, organizing your own party would suck but everything else sounds awesome! Very Happy

And thanks. Yep, we do it every year. Smile
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 03:03 pm
@Roberta,
Really? Like a party party or just a simple birthday party?

Laughing That's okay. When I go to Spain I'll tell you alll about it! Smile
What was Italy like?! I wanna go there too! I heard they have the hottest guys and the best ice cream! Very Happy
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 03:06 pm
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
And I'm really sorry if I offended you or anything.

Not in the slightest! Quite the opposite, in fact. My opinion on the matter used to be exactly the same as yours.

More money, as the song famously says, does indeed bring more problems. More stress and worries. I know it looks like adults have a lot more money to spend - and that's true - but believe me, it flies out of your hands so fast, constantly, that it's easy to feel like it's out of control. Everything's so expensive these days. That makes you risk-averse over time; you have money but don't want to spend it, and when you spend all year doing that (trying to save money instead of spend it), it's hard to stop just b/c it's your birthday.

But, hey; there's plenty of time to be old. You're only young once, you should enjoy the hell out every single second.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 03:27 pm
@GracieGirl,
I used to have parties and go to parties. Not just birthday parties. But party parties.

The guys were better than lukewarm. I don't remember the ice cream. It was my first time in a country where English was not spoken. A small challenge. (I studied Italian.) Loved the sense of differentness. Loved the ancient feel of some things. I'm an art lover, Gracie. Went to a lot of museums. Ate lots of great dinners. Enjoyed the whole experience. I still have and wear some of the jewelry I bought in Florence.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 03:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
My wife and I have birthdays only about a week apart from each other, and we have a joint birthday party every year with about 30-40 of our friends.
We're two weeks apart Smile We celebrate with friends, but also sometimes skip that and get on a plane to a destination for 1 day, together.... Couldn't help but drop in Wink

Quote:

Gracie, (cut / paste ) for future, that's beautiful and I agree....

Eva

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 03:44 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:
...but also sometimes skip that and get on a plane to a destination for 1 day, together....

Ooh, I love THAT idea!!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 03:49 pm
@GracieGirl,
You gotta be careful, there, GG. When you get as old as Cycloptichorn, you are easily offended.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 03:51 pm
@roger,
Well, as I said, I'm the opposite of offended.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 07:36 pm
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
Im going to Ontario to visit my grandparents for a month on June 9th. Im soo scared. I HATE flying.

See, no need to worry, GG. You're probably already there.

Happy Birthday to you!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 08:00 pm
@GracieGirl,
"Grown ups can have way more fun than kids. You have more money and cars and no rules."

gracie, gracie, gracie...

there's more rules to being a grown-up than you can shake a stick at.

sometimes it's easier not to celebrate or make a big deal, then there is no disappointment or let down that the day kinda sucked like most of the rest of them.

special is what you make it...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 09:16 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Hmmm. I didn't. But kids don't have lots of money and we can only do small stuff. I make cookies or brownies or cake for my dads birthday. And we make him breakfast in bed but that's it. Parents can make their own birthdays fun. You guys can go to clubs or bars or out to eat to fancy restaurants or travel or anything you like. You guys just 'choose' not to.

You forget that grown ups have to work in order to get money. Then there is the responsibility of paying rent/mortgage, insurance, car payments, grocery bills, etc. etc. and once all bills are paid, there isn't too much left, especially when kids are around who want allowance, who want this and that and then some more.....

When you're young you have all the time in the world, but no money;
when you're older you definitely have more money, but no time to spend it.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.61 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:28:00