How to answer these Philosophy of Religion Questions?

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 07:43 am
My lecturer always says that the way to getting the top marks would be to surprise him.
Any ideas on the kind of spins I could put on these answers to make them unique and interesting?
I'm fairly certain that the question that are going to come up are going to be the same only perhaps worded a bit differently.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Please work with the assumption that I know all the basics and those will be included.

Q1) Why does Spinoza insist on Critiquing scripture with scripture before he can critique it with reason?

My answer covers: Spinoza's frustration of being viewed as an atheist. He wanted to implement his own version of God. The need to remove censorship of theology over Philosophy. Correspondence with Blienberg. Contradictions within scripture. Fear of persecution by religious authorities. Refutation of the argument that human reason being flawed and by critiquing scripture with scripture therefore removing the possibility of human error.

Q2)1.Kant insists that because we can have no knowledge of God, we therefore have no duty to God. How does this thinking influence his idea of a religion within the limits of reason?

We can have no knowledge of God because we can have no experience of God. Within the limits of reason alone etc. The only religion we can have is speculative based on our own personal moral code. Moral laws cannot depend on any law giver. Moral autonomy does not exist when there are preset rules or if Gods existence was certain. Morality does not need religion. Religion therefore is based on reason. Authentic religion must be a common wealth(Foundations of his political philosophy). Churches bribing people with heaven - theological tyrannies. Freedom necessary for moral autonomy. Religions exist because we are moral and not the other way around. You should only accept a church if you morally agree with all of its rituals. You can't assume the guilt for someone else and you cannot be born predetermined to be bad. Morality cannot exist under those conditions.

Q3)Bergson tells us that instinct, working through the intellect, provides the myth of religion. Explain and comment.

Instinct and Intellect as a part of the flux of human evolution. IT is their mutual collaboration which leads them to evolve. Instinct utilizes intellect and makes it work against itself to induce social cohesion. Instinct versus Intellect and Society versus Individuality. This is the balancing act of evolution. Customs as moral goods. Religious beliefs are clearly not reasonable and are a product of Instinctual drive. Gives meaning to life.

Q4)Otto describes the experience of the Holy as ‘mysterium, tremendum, fascinans et augustum’. What does he mean by this?

I haven't outlined the question for myself yet and I'm still debating weather to pick this question or the next.

Q4)Write a short essay on the philosopher who has impressed you the most in this course. Outline the reasons for your choice of philosopher and indicate where their importance lies for you.

I would write about Kant and how he has impressed me to be absolutely honest with myself and everyone else and how he has made me realize(with Camus) that I would be lying to myself If I convinced myself in the divine. Moral autonomy and religion are not reconcilable.

Thank you for reading. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,031 • Replies: 1
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 01:43 pm
@the5thace,
Forgive me but I’m not sure whether your answers reflect your opinion of the matter at hand or of what Kant means. I 2.
Quote:
The only religion we can have is speculative based on our own personal moral code.
Only if you attach some special moralistic conditions. The apodictical existential pantheist takes a broader view where She is All and thus ethics is downplayed as only one limited aspect of Her thinking

Quote:
We can have no knowledge of God because we can have no experience of God.

The pantheist claims an intimate such experience

Quote:
3. Religious beliefs are clearly not reasonable
Surely you can’t include all

Quote:
Moral autonomy and religion are not reconcilable.
This seems very unlikely in a world where nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else, including distinctions that might divide the abstract from the concrete
0 Replies