Ahhhhhhhhhh, peace, sanity & contentment!

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 09:36 pm
I was pottering around in the garden the other day - weeding, pruning, planting, moving plants that weren't happy where they were, admiring the progress of others .... And without being aware of it I'd spent HOURS in a sort of dazed, gardening nirvana. Hey, I thought to myself, I feel really at peace & happy! This is SO GOOD! Very Happy
Amazing that such a simple activity could make me feel so at peace with the world.

So, dear A2Kers, what does it for you?
Tell us about the activity or situation that brings you such contentment.
I'd love to hear your stories! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,450 • Replies: 30
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 09:42 pm
Whoops!
I posted this under "General News" instead of "General" .
If Anyone can explain how to shift it, I'd be grateful ...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:00 pm
LOL - ask a Mod.

Hmmm - nirvana indeed, Msolga me lovey - you were utterly in the present!

Gardening used to do that for me - when I wasn't engaged in brutal battle with my cottoneaster tree. It IS such a joy, no, to make plants happy - to see the worm casts becoming more and more each day, as more and more happy wormies come - to see the flowers, the buds, the leaves - the insects living their lives in a world you have created - the birds come - to watch one's compost grow - one's soil become richer and richer. Aaaaaaaah - I miss it.

Reading sometimes does it for me - really good conversation - sex - running a dinner party - you know, ensuring comfort and fun for each guest, setting the little top aspin and watching it hum....I wish meditation did it more - music sometimes - but - I have SUCH a busy mind - it pops and fizzes and crackles with ideas and thoughts and ANXIETIES!!! It is hard for me to reach that spot.

Well done!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:04 pm
Gardening does it for me as well Olga. As the weather begins to get warmer, I get these soothing thoughts of being out in my garden :-D
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:37 pm
It seems I am as passionate about gardening as you are, however, it's winter here and gardening is out of the question. In the meantime I can sit quite a long spell at the piano and get lost in the music.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:39 pm
Maybe that's one of my problems. I can't find anything that does that for me. Not one damned thing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:44 pm
If anyone could make their flowers happy, I knew it would be Msolga.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:45 pm
Have you tried gardening Wilso?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:50 pm
gardening does it for me too, usually. Reading does it, if I'm really into the book. Cleaning sometimes does it, oddly. Making/creating always does it. When I was doing those pastels, I spent the better part of 3 days in that state.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:36 am
I have so many:

Watching fire dance
Watching people and wondering why they do what they do
Feeling the warmth of the sun
Reading a good book
Watching any repetitive yet random movement
Sleeping :wink:
Playing with silly putty
Writing down my thoughts
Thinking

I know they sound simple and cheesy, but those things really make me content.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:46 am
I just see gardening as hard work.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:52 am
gardening used to be fun when I actually had a yard...in an apartment right now.

Let's see....
Drawing or painting is definitley top of the list
watching fire (go, individual!)
watching a stream gurgle by
reading
writing
playing tag with my cats
dancing
sitting at Starbucks and making up stories about the people I see...

All of these can sweep me away for hours. Very Happy
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:56 am
Isn't it amazing how, sometimes, the simplest things really struggle to steal our eyes?

Welcome to A2K Aldistar.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:13 am
I especially agree on drawing, although now that I do it for work I don't do it as a relaxation thing. When I first took drawing classes, I remember barely getting myself to go to the class which was scheduled a couple of hours after a typically tiring day's work, sort of frowning my way into the building from the big parking garage, and ... leaving again in three hours which would have passed in an apparent four minutes. I would get totally involved, a very satisfying thing.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:30 am
Nothing right now....but I want to get back into pottery. I did a bit of it as a child and it seems such a contenting thing to do. That and needlepoint. I took that in a crafts class in junior high.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:31 am
Watching a woman sleep contentedly beside me. That is pure bliss.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:33 am
Oh kickycan....there are so many responses running through my head. But I'll be good and keep my mouth shut. Razz
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:34 am
Getting lost in a good book is also great.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:37 am
Caprice, don't let all these people know what a horndog I am!

I also used to play the guitar, but I haven't played for awhile. I remember though that anytime I couldn't sleep, if I picked up the guitar and just played something, anything, it would totally calm me and I'd be off to restful sleep in minutes.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:39 am
kickycan wrote:
Caprice, don't let all these people know what a horndog I am!

I'm thinkin' the surprise would be lost on them kickycan. Wink
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ahhhhhhhhhh, peace, sanity & contentment!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 09:50:08