14
   

CAN YOU BE TOLERANT IN THE “RELIGION” AREA?

 
 
saab
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 01:51 am
@rosborne979,
If it happens once or twice I would just like you say it is coincidence.
When your dreams often have a message like that and in different areas you slowly start to think that magic might excist
Krumple
 
  3  
Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 09:46 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

If it happens once or twice I would just like you say it is coincidence.
When your dreams often have a message like that and in different areas you slowly start to think that magic might excist


There is a problem here. A lot of people ignore those dreams that had no significance and only pay attention to those dreams that did hit their mark. This would inbalance the result. People ONLY focus on the hits and ignore the dozens of misses then come to the conclusion that something magical is happening. This is almost always the case. Nothing magical, just a failure at properly collecting data.
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  3  
Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 04:14 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

If it happens once or twice I would just like you say it is coincidence.
When your dreams often have a message like that and in different areas you slowly start to think that magic might excist

People don't remember things which don't attract their awareness. For example, they complain that they always hit "red lights" when they drive, but they never notice when they drive through all the "green lights".

Likewise, thousands of people every night dream that something bad has happened to Aunt Sally, but when they call everything is fine, and those results get ignored until something finally is wrong (although not exactly what they dreamed), and suddenly they have ESP.

You have to collect data accurately in order to make any meaningful observations. People are remarkably bad that this.
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 04:29 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Likewise, thousands of people every night dream that something bad has happened to Aunt Sally, but when they call everything is fine, and those results get ignored until something finally is wrong (although not exactly what they dreamed), and suddenly they have ESP.


Yes, the fallacy of the enumeration of favorable circumstances. Where would superstition be without it.
0 Replies
 
djjd62
 
  1  
Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 06:16 am
CAN YOU BE TOLERANT IN THE “RELIGION” AREA?

where exactly is the religious area

i don't think one can get there from here
Krumple
 
  1  
Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 06:49 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

CAN YOU BE TOLERANT IN THE “RELIGION” AREA?

where exactly is the religious area

i don't think one can get there from here


take a left at the end of logic and reasoning.
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  1  
Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 08:45 am
I believe the question is loaded with an unconscious inference that one's degree of toleration is of import. First of all, many of us are in the U.S., based on the tolerance of those who were of a different religion and mindset, and were here first. And now, to think that our degree of tolerance is meaningful implies we too have a degree of import. The question could easily be answered, I believe, in asking whether a humble person can be intolerant. The concern for one's tolerance, therefore implies, in my opinion, a less than humble persona.

My thinking sort of correlates, I believe, with one definition of racism as something that only the group in power can have. So, tolerance too may be only something that those in power can have. This thread seems to me to be a backhanded compliment to those who question their degree of tolerance.
0 Replies
 
jcboy
 
  4  
Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 10:40 am
My tolerance for your religion goes exactly as far as it pertains to you. Once any religion imposes on my (or any other person's) rights, then my tolerance ends.

Your religion prohibits same sex marriage? Don't marry someone of the same sex. Your religion prohibits the eating of pork? Don't eat pork.

Your religion demands you never drink alcohol? Don't drink alcohol. But when you try to outlaw same-sex marriage, or eating pork, or drinking aclohol, then you've crossed the line.

Religious tolerance does not entail let religions control governmnet, nor does it entail passing laws that appease religious groups.
Krumple
 
  1  
Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 07:46 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

My tolerance for your religion goes exactly as far as it pertains to you. Once any religion imposes on my (or any other person's) rights, then my tolerance ends.

Your religion prohibits same sex marriage? Don't marry someone of the same sex. Your religion prohibits the eating of pork? Don't eat pork.

Your religion demands you never drink alcohol? Don't drink alcohol. But when you try to outlaw same-sex marriage, or eating pork, or drinking aclohol, then you've crossed the line.

Religious tolerance does not entail let religions control governmnet, nor does it entail passing laws that appease religious groups.


I agree completely with what you said here, but at the same time I take it a step further because I believe that it is built within religion itself to push itself onto the rest of society. Therefore the very nature of religion is to impose itself and that is why I actively speak out against it. Religious people typically are not happy with what they believe and keep it to themselves.

They want everyone else to accept these same criteria that they are. In fact some think it is their duty to get everyone else to accept it. Some will even murder or site that a person who is resisting should be murdered for their lakc of conversion. There are even other who say those who leave the religion should be murdered.

Even within the religion it teaches it's followers to abandon reasoning and just accept premises without needing to support them credable facts. This makes them poor problem solvers and they in turn teach these same lessons to their children who also make poor decisions. Since we are social animals this can not be helped but to spill over onto the rest of society.

So even indirectly religion imposes itself onto the rest of society even if they are not actively seeking out to impose it.
Consumer Issues
 
  1  
Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 02:05 am
@Frank Apisa,
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
IRFRANK
 
  1  
Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 06:44 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
No . . . i kill the sons-of-bitches whenever i think i can get away with it.


and which religion do you follow?
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 07:26 am
@Krumple,
You explain your atheism very well, and explain it from logic and common sense. Keep up the good work.
0 Replies
 
cicerone imposter
 
  2  
Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 07:29 am
@Consumer Issues,
The only rule humans need is to treat all living things with respect and dignity. Every thing else is superfluous. All those "thou shalt's"only confuses the masses.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 02:16 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
and which religion do you follow?


I got mine, screw you . . .
IRFRANK
 
  1  
Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:20 pm
@Setanta,
One of the most popular belief systems in the world.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/24/2019 at 01:25:25