How Has Technology Changed Your Life Over the Last Decade?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 10:54 am
@raprap,

Quote:
Frank, I live by a golf course and although I don't play I see that many golfers have become slaves to technology. Range finders are common and golf carts have become mandatory (mostly to speed up the game and increase course throughput).

Although I said earlier that because of my golf I have to “think spatially”…but that does not preclude my using the technology available to augment that thinking. I use a GPS…wouldn’t play a round without it. But it is not the end-all of the “thinking spatially” that golfers need to play the game with facility. Knowing the distance from your ball to the center of the green (or front or back of the green) is an important element, but knowing how to navigate the dangers in the way or how to avoid dangers near the landing area are also important.

I try to walk as often as possible. All us ole goats do…the exercise being as important (probably more important) as the camaraderie, competition, and joy of playing.

We are all “becoming slaves” to the technology…and I suspect the movement in that direction is geometric rather than arithmetic in its progression. There’s both good and bad in that news.

Further, there was a day not too long ago when I knew the research librarians of the three nearest large libraries by their first names...and they knew me by mine. I never see them anymore...and Google gives me more faster than any of them was ever able to give me. Progress...progresses!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 11:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
Back when I went gaga about italy and its piazza history, I spent a lot of hours at UCLA's research library checking out sections that related in any way to that. I often found things I'd not picked up from the card catalog by my action of nosing around and just opening books. In the doing, I ran into non-piazza related information that got my interest, and following that brought me to broader connections re italian and other european history, all just plain old ordinary interest. Twenty years later I don't remember where I read what and when, except for the biblio I made re piazzas, but I got an extra dollop of "wetware" in my head. True, a similar thing can happen with google searches but they tend to be more directed; I miss the element of tactility, and yes, surprise, in 'I wonder what's in this book' types of exploring.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 11:23 am
@Phoenix32890,
Ya, I don't mean that there's no joy in seeing something that you have seen a photo of previously, or been to previously. As with you and the Grand Canyon, thus me with Rome. I was imprinted like a duckling and never got over it. But that's different than my first walking up the steps from the metrorail (airport to the central station, thus to the subway) and emerging to have the Colosseum in front of me, whammo. Didn't hurt that we'd been up thirty plus hours - totally a stunner.

Hope you do get out here in September!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 11:28 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

GPS is doing away with maps.

Perhaps for folks who can afford (or don't mind paying for) GPS devices.

Me, I'll stick with a map, and it's cheaper.
aidan

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 11:48 am
The only ways in which it's changed my life is that I can take alot more pictures to experiment with photography and improve than I used to because now I don't have to worry about cost, and I can download music that I want to hear on youtube- I no longer have to buy the cd's.

I only use a mobile phone when I absolutely have to - otherwise I use my home phone.
I don't have a gps - I still read maps.
I don't use a kindle or read books online - I still go to the library and check out books.
I don't watch movies on my computer - I still go to movies or rent dvd's to watch on my tv.
I don't NOT use these things because I don't like them- (except for mobile phones - I don't like talking on them - I like my home phone.)
I haven't even tried them - I'm just able to use and do what I've always used and done, so I haven't pursued another way to do these things.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 12:41 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
Perhaps for folks who can afford (or don't mind paying for) GPS devices.

But GPS is becoming ubiquitous. It's incorporated into sub-$150 cell phones, nowadays.

There is definitely a "digital divide," though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 12:49 pm
@raprap,
But have you noticed the ever shrinking phone books? Some not listed, of course, but many others have gone to cell phone only. Not only that, lots of merchants have shrunk or even eliminated their yellow page listings. If you don't have cell and computer, you're dead in the water.

Hate to disappoint you, especially as I'm a very recent adoptor of cell phone technology, but both my bikes have computers.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 12:54 pm
@Phoenix32890,
One of the biggest things is I'm never without a book to read as long as I have my smart phone or another device. I can check ebooks out of the library at 2am when they are closed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 01:32 pm
@Phoenix32890,
10 years ago I still had my little blocky gray proto-Blackberry (a Wyndtell) and people kept saying "oooh what is that??"

If I wanted to contact a hearing person, I used my tty and message relay, or email.

People HATE message relay -- they're almost always really uncomfortable with it. (I type to a "caller assistant," who voices what I've typed to the person I'm calling, then the CA types what that person says, etc.)

Most people I knew had email, but they often didn't check it very often.

Now, SO much better!

Sososososo much better.

If I have to contact a hearing person I know, 90% of the time I can do it via text. They're comfortable with it, they use it all the time, it's nothing unusual -- it's irrelevant that I'm deaf, it's just a standard means of communication for them.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 02:24 pm
@sozobe,
Yup, it can definitely be a great help.

You now have technology that helps you communicate (via Google translate) with people who only speak another language.
0 Replies

sheranudeep

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 03:11 am
@Phoenix32890,
Internet . It has made me far more aware of what is happening in entire world
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 08:09 pm
@raprap,
Quote:
Makes me wonder if some of the technology we've become dependent upon is making us less than human.

My grandpa thought that about indoor plumbing.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 19 May, 2012 08:14 pm
I think it's interesting that we are all here on the internet talking about how technology is taking away our ability to be human. Isn't this an excellent example where technology has given us the capability to interact in a human way unavailable until after 2002 ?
0 Replies

tinytomhanks

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 02:31 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Technology totally change the way of living life since last 10 years. way of starting day to ending is changed, life's beginning is changed, communication and many tangible and intangible change we can see even a human thinking is also change. It has also a sad part, neither one have time to spent it together nor for god.
0 Replies

Lilyvila

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 08:25 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Great changes! I haven't written letters to my friends with a pen for 10 years. Now, i chat with them using my phone or PC.
0 Replies

David Luek

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 05:06 am
@Phoenix32890,
Hi,
Phoenix32890

Scientist have already been invented new technology day by day . In 2002 a lot of men do n't know about technology . Burt now without technology it is very much diffcult for man to survive in this world . For ex - by using information technology we know abou all world news and also in mobile phones we can talk with friends by video conferencing . Same development have happened in science , physics ,economics ,math etc .

Regards,
David
0 Replies

Learn121

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 08:27 am
@Phoenix32890,
Technology has enlightened my knowledge about the world.
HaroldKRoy

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 06:11 am
@Learn121,
Technology has changed our lifestyle, travelling, communication, working, studying and so on.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 07:43 am
Technology probably saved my life. I'd have been bored to death if I'd lived a hundred years ago.
0 Replies