WHO INVENTED COLD WAVE PERM ( HAIR)

dm56

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:24 am
Very Happy please help me i heard about this book from somewhere not find it .oh the book is called i think Attempted murder of heiress.and this book is about the woman that invented cold wave.thanks so much
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 8,548 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:10 pm
Well, there you are dm56. I spent some time searching google for the inventor of the cold wave, but all I found was the history of beauty stuff, and that was not among them. I'll keep looking, however.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:36 pm
Well, I did another search on Ask Jeeves, and all it says is that the cold wave was invented in the 40's, but it doesn't say by whom. Crying or Very sad

ergo, dm. We're going to have a very, VERY difficult time finding your book.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 02:20 pm
Well, the permanent wave was invented by the German Charles Nessler about 1905 ...
("Later the cold wave, with chemicals, simplified the process", it says in an article. But that's no help either Sad )
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 02:44 pm
Most likely Everett McDonough invented cold wave in 1941.

Now to the book ......
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 02:49 pm
Yeah! Walter. The German Shepherd in on the prowl. Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 02:57 pm
Well, no idea(s) about the book.

Cold wave was applied for patent in 1934 already and introduced 1948 (both in Germany).

Seems that Everett used it first. (Ralph Evans and Everett McDonough developed external heat pads in 1931.)

Actually, I thaught the book should be found easily now. But no-one mentions it anywhere Sad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 03:02 pm
From dm's short post, I get the impression that it may be a fiction book, and that in the book the heroine (or a character) was supposed to have invented the cold wave.

Separately, I am getting very vague bell-tinklings about an African-american lady who invented hair straightening and became very rich and powerful in her day? And a fairly recent book about her? :-?

If you could provide any more info on what book you have in mind, dm, that'd be great. (Fiction, nonfiction, mystery, recent, old, best-seller, obscure, etc., etc.)

Thanks!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 03:09 pm
Well, are you thinking of Madam C.J. Walker, soz?

[Meanwhile, I'm wellinformed in the history of hairdressing :wink: ]
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 11:28 am
Walter, Very Happy It suddenly came to me as I was working the NYT's puzzle today, that there was a perm or something called Marcel. Need to check it out. Back later.

And Soz may well be right about the fiction of it all.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 11:57 am
http://www.fashion-ebooks.com/make_up.htm#The%20Marcel%20Wave

Quote:
In her desire to appear natural many ladies had their hair waved. In 1908 Marcel of France introduced a new form of hair waving called the Marcel wave. At a stroke hairdressing techniques in Britain were revolutionized. This technique curled the hair with hot irons in a waved arrangement around the head. As well as Marcel waving, women also dyed their hair.

That wasn't a cold wave though.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:02 pm
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDcAiMX1HzY6DpY!hPWSUZLI2gR0dFzh7m*D5yZ6BYpaKh3otpO*9Yx7JVJzU0fm8Goyt4wsLExZdb!XwoP6aXtK*MFY8iB9cWI8ogQVH5hAd*yr2GRpQ/permwave.jpg?dc=4675459949142882640

Anybody remember THAT???? I always wondered what would happen if a woman was attached to that contraption, and there were a fire.

My old beauty parlor had an antique one of those in the middle of the shop.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:00 pm
(Got two PM's by dm56 yesterday, shortly after I posted my last response: she/he thanked me [flattering: "cheer up you been a big help"])

Found no pic during a fire, Phoenix, only this one Laughing
http://www.chemie.uni-marburg.de/~butenuth/644/Haardateien/Bilder/dw2.jpg
0 Replies

mamakat

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 02:08 pm
Was this P. D. Wagner? Could be another variation on the P.D.--may not be initals but some thing like Petey or Pedy--but I am fairly certain the last name is Wagner. And I am looking for the same book mentioned above. I do not know the name of the book.
Lkbpap

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 10:37 am
@mamakat,
Yes the name is Pidy Wagner. She was from
London and her family put her in an insane
Asylum. She escaped by jumping 2 stories.
The book is her testimony of how she was
Saved from death & found god! I have also
Been looking 4 the paperback book. I read it
Sometime around 1985. I hope this helps??
It was a wonderful book as I am also a hairdresser!
manoj9585

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 06:16 am
@dm56,
Hi,
It was by McDonough not sure but think so
0 Replies

Harriet Miller

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 09:06 pm
@Lkbpap,
I also read the book but do not remember the title or the author. If anyone finds further information, I'd be interested in an update on the author.
0 Replies