Baby eye colour

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 07:14 am
We are from Greece, I have green eyes and my husband brown eyes. We have 4 children all with brown eyes. I know that brown is dominant over green but In 4 why it's not possible to have 1 with green eyes. I am pregnant to my 5 one. Is there any chance for this one to have lighter eyes? I know that my husband has and ant with blue eyes.
Thanks a lot for your time and help,
Regards,
Georgia
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,397 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 07:46 am
@gygreece,
There's a chance, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

I have brown eyes and my one daughter has blue/green/gray eyes. (They need to come up with a term for that -- they're not hazel exactly. Anyway.) My husband has blue eyes.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 08:20 am
@gygreece,
Using traditional Mendelian dominant/recessive rules, it seems to me that the most likely explanation is that your husband has two genes for brown eyes.

This would mean that all your children with him will have brown eyes.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 01:33 pm
I was going to write about the simple dominant and recessive genetic traits of blue and brown eye color, but according to Wikipedia, blue eye color isn't simply a recessive trait as it was once believed. Eye color genetics are very complex. Another bit of trivia, green eye color is considered to be the rarest color.

Eye Color
0 Replies