Beastie Boy Adam Yauch Dead At 47

djjd62

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 05:48 am
http://nationalpostarts.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/yauch.jpg?w=620

Adam Nathaniel Yauch in was born on Aug. 5, 1964, in Brooklyn, New York. He founded the Grammy-winning Beastie Boys with fellow New York City rappers Mike D and Ad Roc in 1979, and the group released its first album, Licensed to Ill, in 1986, on Def Jam. It became the label’s fastest-selling album to date, and contains some of the group’s trademark songs, including (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (to Party) and No Sleep Till Brooklyn. The band would go on to release seven studio albums, the latest of which, Hot Sauce Committee Part Two, was released last year.

The Beastie Boys have sold more than 22 million albums in the U.S. The group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April of this year; Yauch did not attend the induction ceremony.

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/05/04/adam-yauch-of-the-beastie-boys-dead-at-47-according-to-reports/

damn

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,451 • Replies: 8
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 06:39 am
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 09:56 am
@djjd62,
I always liked the Beastie Boys. Their music was always fun.

Yauch was a pretty neat guy too. He did some cool things and never called much attention to himself while doing them. I admire that in a person.

Sad news. He was still a young man.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 10:05 am
@djjd62,
Just barely missed the Beasties -- my Facebook feed is all Beastie Boys all the time since MCA died, as I'm right smack in the Beastie demographic. But I was losing my hearing just as they were coming on the scene.

A person I know but not well said that she doesn't get why this celebrity death makes her more so much more sad than other recent ones -- I typed but decided not to post because I don't actually know her that well that it makes sense because he was still pretty young and died for such a random reason. Nobody wanted Michael Jackson or Whitney Houston to die, but their drug abuse had a direct bearing on their deaths. This was a good guy who was doing a lot of good things and just happened to get cancer.
djjd62

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 10:56 am
@sozobe,
i have to admit to not getting the Beastie's in the beginning, Ill Communication always seemed a little too cartoony to me, but the second album, Paul's Boutique, blew me away, it remains one of my favourite albums to this day
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 11:46 am
Yeah, when they first came out I dismissed them as a novelty act, what with songs like fight for your right, and brass monkey. But then they came out with songs like gratitude, where they forwent the sampling of rap and actually played their own instruments. I was impressed. I'll always remember Yauch for his performance at the MTV Music awards when they did Sabotage, and the pachuco, zoot-suit look he took on there.

Alav hashalom
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 04:43 am
0 Replies

Marie Colvin

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 09:51 am
@sozobe,
Hello friends,

Thanks for sharing your information, Really I am extremely appreciated.

Regards
Marie
0 Replies

Marie Colvin

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 11:12 am
@djjd62,
It is with great sadness that we confirm that musician, rapper, activist and director Adam "MCA" Yauch, founding member of Beastie Boys and also of the Milarepa Foundation that produced the Tibetan Freedom Concert benefits, and film production and distribution company Oscilloscope Laboratories, passed away in his native New York City this morning after a near-three-year battle with cancer. He was 47 years old.

Best regards
Marie Colvin
0 Replies