Anybody watch the entire thing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,742 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 05:02 pm
Nope. Didn't watch any of it. Fell asleep watching reruns of "Law & Order"! Laughing
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 06:28 pm
Also didn't watch any of it. And having heard that Kylie Minogue got an award, it's obviously a complete joke (like most awards) and hence will never watch it.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:23 am
Wilso wrote:
Also didn't watch any of it. And having heard that Kylie Minogue got an award, it's obviously a complete joke (like most awards) and hence will never watch it.

That's too bad. You missed an incredible show. I've never been real impressed with the Grammy's until this year. Every performance was remarkable. Some of the best I've ever seen. The only performance I was disappointed in was Dave Matthews, Sting and Vince Gill performing their tribute to The Beatles. Otherwise, I was blown away.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:27 am
If it was mostly American artists, I can assure that I would not have been blown away. For the most part I find them almost exclusively very big on gimmick, and very small on talent.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:56 am
Aww c'mon Wilso... that's only the American Artists that you have ever heard of (or will ever hear of) .

Which kind of rules out the Grammys, come to think of it...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:00 am
I remember years ago, I saw a collection of wannabes on the Phil Donahue show. There was a lot of talent there. (Where are they when American Idol is on?)

These people apparently were all regular performers at a New York establishment. I think it was called Rosie's somethingorother.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:29 am
Wilso wrote:
If it was mostly American artists, I can assure that I would not have been blown away. For the most part I find them almost exclusively very big on gimmick, and very small on talent.

Wilso, Wilso, Wilso. Such generalizations. I'm disappointed. Which one these artists has very little talent: Beyonce, Christina Aguilerra, Justin Timberlake, Parliment, Chick Corea, Prince, The Foo Fighters, Sting, The White Stripes and Outkast. You missed Earth, Wind and Fire for God's sake.

I can understand that you may not agree with the awards and the idea behind the awards, but man you missed some incredible performances.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:35 am
I've never heard of most of them. I tend to concentrate on Australian artists.

Eg. John Farnham, Jimmy Barnes, Kate Cebrano, Tina Arena, Debrah Conway, Red Gum, Cold Chisel, 1927, Southern Sons, Mike and the Mechanics, David Dixon, Weddings Parties Anything. I could go on and on. How many of them have you heard of?
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:46 am
Wilso wrote:

Eg. John Farnham, Jimmy Barnes, Kate Cebrano, Tina Arena, Debrah Conway, Red Gum, Cold Chisel, 1927, Southern Sons, Mike and the Mechanics, David Dixon, Weddings Parties Anything. I could go on and on. How many of them have you heard of?

I haven't heard of any of them and I wont make generalizations about them until I do.

You've never heard of Earth, Wind and Fire? Sting? The Police? Prince? Chick Corea?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 11:13 am
Never heard of Chick Corea. Obviously I've heard of Prince-don't like him. I do know of the other artists, but except for Sting, only vaguely.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 11:31 am
John Farnham - I listened to two songs by him good singer, but kind of dated.

Jimmy Barnes - I listened to a couple songs. I like this guy. I listened to his song 'Love and Hate'. Still a little dated though. Kind of reminds me of early Bon Jovi.

Kate Cebrano - Not bad. Nothing great about her voice, really. No Beyonce' or Christina Aguilerra.

Tina Arena - Same thing here. Nothing great, but not bad. Doesn't hold a candle to what Beyonce' or Sarah McLaclan did the other night. She looks a lot better than she sounds.

Debrah Conway - Now this woman can write a song. Very impressive. If she had been on the Grammy's I would've been impressed. I'd like to pick up some of her stuff.

Red Gum - Couldn't find anything on them.

Cold Chisel - Totally dated.

1927 - I listened to two songs. One of them was a song called 'Love Me'. This stuff is so dated, man. I mean it's good songwriting and they're talented musicians, but it's already been heard in the 80's.

Southern Sons - Couldn't find anything.

Mike and the Mechanics - this is good stuff. I've always liked Mike and the Mechanics, but it's dated. It's too old school. It doesn't work for what's going on today.

David Dixon - Couldn't find anything.

this is of course just my opinion, but the only one in your list that I feel holds a condle next to the people that performed the other night at the Grammy's is Deborah Conway. Otherwise, had the other ones been on, I would've turned the program off. I'm not sayin their bad, I'm just daying they're not incredible.

I can name several bands or artists you've never heard of that I like from all over the world; Iceland, the U.K., Cuba, Canada, Russia, Japan. Some of them I would've liked to have seen at The Grammy's, some I wouldn't. That doesn't mean I'm not going to recognize the talent of the people performing on the show.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 11:33 am
Wilso wrote:
Never heard of Chick Corea. Obviously I've heard of Prince-don't like him. I do know of the other artists, but except for Sting, only vaguely.

There's a difference between not liking someones music and recognizing their musical talent and songwriting ability.

I don't like The Beatles that much, but I can recognize their songwriting brilliance.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 12:00 pm
Edit...Links I posted didn't work. Sorry.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:28 pm
Get it through your head. Years ago I just stopped listening to American music. I DON"T F@CKING LIKE IT. They're a bunch of plastic arseholes, which is pretty typical of the US in general.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 04:34 pm
The stuff you describe as dated was probably from the eighties. eg, Cold Chisel, who broke up in 1983. And I still prefer it to anything that comes out of the US.

And John Farnham had his first hit in 1967, and his most recent in 2003. I doubt many new US artists will be remembered in five years. I know that none of them will still be topping the charts in 36.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:06 am
Wilso wrote:
Get it through your head. Years ago I just stopped listening to American music. I DON"T F@CKING LIKE IT. They're a bunch of plastic arseholes, which is pretty typical of the US in general.

Sounds to me with all your anger you should probably try listening to some Slayer.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 10:50 am
Wilso wrote:

How about a taste of your own hate medicine.

You are not famous until you come to America. The world knows more American singers than Australian ones. And every musician wants to be acknowledged for their talents. Australian ones will die unknown until they catch a raft to the known land of America.
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:15 pm
_-=-_ wrote:
Wilso wrote:

Sounds to me with all your anger you should probably try listening to some Slayer.

Amen!!

*Put your hands up, and move away from the Megadeth*
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:23 pm
I read through this thread, and I just wanted to say that nationality aside, Enthusiast is 100 percent correct. You don't have to "like" a band to appreciate, or atleast recognize their talent. I'd also like to point out, that I noticed that when dude starts naming off all of his "stars" that they could not be found on the internet.... which reaches everywhere in the world...
And the MAIN reason I replied is cuz I wanted to say that I thought it was really cool and classy that Enthusiast kept such an open mind, and actually made the effort to look the stuff up before he shot off at the mouth....
0 Replies