What is the differenve between Mexicans, Hispanics, and Latinos?

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:38 am
I got into a discussion about South American names and what they mean. This is a good answer:

Mexican is a nationality - of or deriving from Mexico. It may describe a person or a meal.

Latino and Hispanic both refer to ethnicity, geneology, and geography. These terms are technically synonymous but Latino is, for some, the preferred term, with Hispanic coming to have a connotation of a description that is clinical and imposed. Both terms refer to an ethnogeneological heritage tracing back to Spain, but also encompassing the rich mix of Incan, Aztec, Mayan, other Indian, African, and now Asian components that inform the political, historical, and cultural world that is "Latino".

A Mexican is Latino/Hispanic, but a Latino or Hispanic person may or may not be Mexican.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,381 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:40 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I've come to favor Latino over Hispanic, especially when speaking of individuals or small groups. Actually, I favor Mexican, but only when I'm dead sure I'm speaking to, or of an actual Mexican.

I don't much care for Chicano. I almost thing it's a creation of Rudolfo Anaya.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:58 pm
@roger,
maybe we should coin a new term and define it as a light skinned brown guy that speaks the spanish.

maybe hispaniard...
roger

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:07 pm
@Rockhead,
But I know some very light skinned Latinos that don't seem to know the language. Spanish might be acceptable in some of our areas, like the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, but don't quote me on that.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:14 pm
@roger,
I bet they get mistaken for gringos...

all the mexicans I know speak spanish. I think it's some kind of rule.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:21 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I would include the music as that is also a good indication of the culture.

BTW don't make a mistake when trying to identify culture---I watched a Hispanic woman rip into a convience store clerk that called her Mexican. Anfd I have an Equadoran friend that hates being called Hispanic (He's Latino).

Rap
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:53 pm
My girlfriends are latinas. One of my smartassgroup friend's sister was politically invested, mecha the group. I got chicano points of view but never in the way that anyone who was really part of it did.

We were all from los angeles, families from different places.
Hispanic seems to me more an east coast term.

Mexicans are from the country of Mexico. I remember my mother worried about my going to Mexico, it was so dirty.
Well, Ireland wasn't perfect. She hadn't been there either.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 03:54 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I got into a discussion about South American names and what they mean. This is a good answer:

Mexican is a nationality - of or deriving from Mexico. It may describe a person or a meal
That shud be OBVIOUS.

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Latino and Hispanic both refer to ethnicity, geneology, and geography.
That is not an English word.
When I am speaking ENGLISH, I 'd call it Latin,
if occasion arose to use that word.

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
These terms are technically synonymous but Latino is, for some, the preferred term,
with Hispanic coming to have a connotation of a description that is clinical and imposed.

Both terms refer to an ethnogeneological heritage tracing back to Spain
Thank u for that information.
I thawt that Latin came from a city in Italy. Spain, huh ??

David
0 Replies