Pedometer

gollum

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 06:04 pm
Are some pedometers more accurate than others? How can the prospective purchaser tell which is best?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,678 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 06:12 pm
@gollum,
Check Amazon reviews. Or ask at a sporting goods store. If you can test drive (er, walk) any of them, do so at a place with measured distances. I have an Omron and love it.
roger

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 06:27 pm
@jespah,
Of course, they normally count steps, multiply by the length of stride you have entered, and then divide by 5,280 ft per mile. In mountainous terrain, they are about useless unless you get one that counts steps per hour.

Some are GPS systems. Should be pretty good on level ground with no high tension lines close by.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 04:06 am
@gollum,
gps based units are pretty good because they dont worry about steps, (unless it allows for input of counting steps by impact) then it has all the variables you need and more, but who really needs "Steps" as a metric, youre only interested in distance and time. the gps can calc rates and accurately record your distances using actua map distance.

GPS is wonderful stuff. I think Cabelas has some good units but they are a bit pricey so I check their catalogs and then check out on ine sources
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 06:50 am
@gollum,
Are we there yet?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b7/Han_dynasty_odometer_cart.jpg/220px-

A Han Dynasty stone rubbing of a horse-drawn odometer cart.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Pedometer
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 01:21:56