Family Names?!?

djjd62

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:16 am
in this country, for my family line i'm it, as far as the name goes, from a male relative who came from England, his two sons had had various combinations of kids (well boys and girls), of those none of the boys except my dad had a son (me), and i don't want kids, so say goodbye to this family name
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:53 am
@djjd62,
Actually, I'm the last (male) Hinteler, we have no children ... Wink
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 12:12 am
@djjd62,
There are two male left with my maidenname and no women.
One has no children and the otherone´s kids have taken the mother´s name.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 12:36 am
My Aunt has 34 grandchild, of her 7 kids there are 2 sons - one's gay, the other has 2 kids with only one boy. I have a feeling their name could die out.. I like the way the Spanish/South Americans do it, both parents names are used - remembered.
In my family tree barely one woman is mentioned. It's sad. It's a series of Owens and Hughes.
0 Replies

8th

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:57 am
@8th,
When I had this question I had biblical time in mind mostly. I know that for many of the lords in Eastern Europe your name meant a lot. So I figured then in biblical era a wealth land owner would more than likely wish the same. Any thoughts?
Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 11:04 am
@8th,
There were no last names in biblical times. It was so-and-so, son of so-and-so, or John, the Baptist (trades or jobs)..or their locations, ... Jesus of Aramea.

Hence, it was impossible to carry forth a last name. Unless it was like Jesus, Son of Joseph was the naming convention that was used.

I believe that in later times (much beyond biblical times), and before there was any last name conventio, some people took on the convention of so-and-so and then whomever was the landowner or dignitary of the area (Lord such-and-such).

I'm sure someone who is far more expert than I (we all know who that is) will come along and correct this if this is wrong.
saab

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 11:28 am
Maybe this link can help a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levite
saab

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 11:32 am
@Ragman,
I looked it up amd it sure looks correct what you said.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:02 pm
@saab,
Levites, as with the others in Judaic history of that era, were a tribe. Be aware that this is a different distinction from a last name.
As another example, Cohen tribe (Kohain) were the rabbis (priests) of the community. Levites and Kohains were the heads of the Jewish community.
Ceili

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:04 pm
@Ragman,
In Ayaan Hirsi Ali's book Infidel, she described having been forced to memorize previous generations, like a poem, as far back as Moses.. k, that's a bit of an exaggeration, I can't remember exactly how far back she had to remember the families names, it was one, very long line of descendants. She's Somalian, I do believe this is quite common in other parts of the world as well. I would think it's part of a kid's upbringing in places like Afghanistan, where family and tribal ties go way back.
0 Replies

8th

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:41 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you very much Ragman
djjd62

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:47 pm
@Ragman,
Cohen, The Librarian?

as for Levites, i buy Wrangler's now, better price and just as nice a jean
Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:50 pm
@djjd62,
Was that determined by genetic research?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:54 pm
@8th,
You're welcome. Some further research on Google turned up with this info:

"We sometimes think the name “Jesus Christ” refers to His first and last names. But it really means “Jesus, who is the Christ / Messiah.” Originally, the title took the form of “Jesus, the Christ,” but it has become common usage to shorten His name to Jesus Christ. This holy name means “Jesus, the Christ who is the Messiah, the anointed one who saves His people from their sins.”

Furthermore:

"Christ is Greek for 'anointed', which is a translation of the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Māšîaḥ), the Messiah"
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 05:23 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

it's just a bunch of patriarchal bullshit, everyone who marries should take the woman's name, after all until now with almost flawless paternal testing, the only sure parent of a child (if the birth was witnessed) was the mother

the whole name=bloodline was a farce from the start, at least the jews got it right

I'm Jewish, and am not sure what you mean, "got it right"? That they had no family names until they required them under the Czar?
Foofie

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 05:25 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I'm descended from a bunch of O's and Mc's.. I should have said Pride and accounting.

Didn't the "O" or "Mc" mean "son of"?
Foofie

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 05:32 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Levites, as with the others in Judaic history of that era, were a tribe. Be aware that this is a different distinction from a last name.
As another example, Cohen tribe (Kohain) were the rabbis (priests) of the community. Levites and Kohains were the heads of the Jewish community.

I have heard that there are many Cohens in America that only reflect the fact that the civil servant at Ellis Island could not pronounce a very long European Jewish name and asked the immigrant, "How would you like to be Cohen? The immigrants often said, "Yes, yes," since being a Cohen (Kohain - High Priest) resulted in a better seat and some other privilege in the synogogue. Only in America as Sam Levenson said.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 05:35 pm
The joke back in the '60's when tv's were black and white, with the usual western programs, was that the first Jewish cowboy was Mr. Rifleman.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 05:48 pm
@Foofie,
O' - grandson of.. or descendant of..
Mc - Mac - son of..
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 05:07 am
@Foofie,
unless i'm wrong, the bloodline follows from the women

i was always under the impression that a jewish women could have children considered with a gentile and the children were considered jewish, but the children of a jewish man who had children with a gentile weren't considered jewish

if this is so, i was using it to illustrate my point, that before the advent of advanced genetic testing, an observed birth could prove maternity, but nothing could prove paternity