World 3.0

Candery

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 10:50 am
I encountered a sentence, which goes "No four-digit product line or 2-digit UN classified economic sector has emerged unscathed by crisis-era protectionism." (chapter 14 of World 3.0), and I am not sure what "four-digit product line " and "2-digit UN classified economic sector" mean in this sentence. So, I'll be very grateful if any of you can offer me your help. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,473 • Replies: 5
No top replies

JTT

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 09:56 pm
@Candery,
While all the words, as words, make perfect sense, what`s missing is context, Candery.

I can understand, completely, the grammatical structure of any English speaker, but their use of certain vocabulary, often called jargon, makes comprehension impossible.

I don`t even know what World 3.0 is. More context would be helpful.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 10:35 pm
@Candery,
Basically the UN classifies economic activity in agreed on hierarchies so statistics can be meaningfully compared between regions and nations, at your choice of granularity.

For example
Hierarchy
Section: C - Manufacturing
Division: 28 - Manufacture of machinery and equipment n.e.c.
Group: 281 - Manufacture of general-purpose machinery
Class: 2812 - Manufacture of fluid power equipment

This is the root of the hierarchy
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/regcst.asp?Cl=27&Lg=1
You drill down to the three, and then four digit codes

This is an example of what you get at the four digit level
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/regcs.asp?Cl=27&Lg=1&Co=2812

McTag

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 01:17 am
@hingehead,

My, the stuff you learn here.

That would be "agreed-on hierarchies", I suppose, the hyphen might make it easier to understand.
Not that I understand much of this.
0 Replies

Candery

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 01:22 am
@Candery,
sorry for that. World 3.0 is a book. And in this book,the author also does not offer too much clue about the four-digit or 2-digit thing. The sentence I posted just appeared all of a sudden. So,very sorry for making you confused, too.
0 Replies

Candery

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 01:25 am
@hingehead,
Thank you a lot. The websites you have offered to me are very helpful. And I have understood what the sentence means now. Many thanks.
0 Replies