How do you get rid of ShopNav

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:36 pm
I use a shared computer to surf the internet at work and somehow a site called ShopNav has become a fixture in this web browser.

When you type a URL wrong, or in random cases even when you type it right it will take you to a search engine called ShopNav. The company that I work for has banned this site so you get a red screen saying your actions have been logged.

I've been looking everywhere to try to figure out how to get this ShopNav off of this computer. It isn't listed in the add/remove programs and I can't find the option that lets you enter a default search engine in Internet Explorer.

Has anybody else had trouble with this ShopNav and how did you get it off of your computer?

This system is Win2000 and IE6.0
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,976 • Replies: 2
No top replies

discogail

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 12:10 am
Download Ad-Aware at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
After installing AAW, and before running the program, update by using the Globe icon.
Shut down and restart Ad-Aware.
Now press "Scan Now", "Select drives\folders to scan" and select the active partition (usually C: ), then 'next', and let Ad-Aware scan your drives.
It will find a number of "bad" files and registry keys. Click 'Next' again.
Rightclick in that pane and choose "select all" and click 'next'.
It will ask you whether you'd like to remove all checked items. Click OK.
Finally, close Ad-Aware, and reboot..

Then download HijackThis from
http://www.merijn.org/files/HijackThis.exe
to a folder of your choice......doubleclick to open."Scan"...then "Save Log"...when it opens in notepad.......copy (edit..select all..copy) & paste (CTRL-V) the log into your next reply.......
We'll see if it's gone..& if there might be other junky stuff as well.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 12:15 am
Thanks for the quick reply. Downloading is against our companies internet policy, but I'll see if I can get it from home. I have AdAware but it didn't catch it. I may may not have the latest version.
0 Replies