nurses teaching patients

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 03:25 pm
I am a nursing student and I wanted to ask a question.
Do you feel that nurses who ar overweight can be effective in teaching their patients about weight loss?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,185 • Replies: 2
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 03:29 pm
@jmznurse,
They might face a little (possibly legitimate) level of cynicism but if they (the nurses) know their sciences (biology and chemistry) and their understanding of nutrition is founded on current studies and academic works then yes.

All things being considered, being overweight is based on more then bad eating habits. One must take into account a person's age, family genetics, and level of metabolism as well.

In fact, some patients may trust certain overweight nurses more as they might feel that these nurses can be empathetic to their daily dietary and exercise based challenges.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 03:30 pm
@jmznurse,
That's interesting.

Teaching can be more powerful if there is a modeling* component of course, but I think overweight nurses can still teach their patients how and why to lose weight while acknowledging how difficult it is.

*Just to be clear, by "modeling" here I mean "be an example of what you're teaching," not, like, Tyra Banks. Smile
0 Replies