Main character puts labels on everything including himself

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 02:37 pm
I'm desperately trying to recollect author and title of a short story I read some years ago. I think it was written by an English author. Actually I was almost convinced that it was H.G. Wells, but now I can't find it in a complete edition of his short stories. As far as I remember it ran like this: One day a man starts to put labels (or slips of paper) on everything in his surrounding, then he goes on with labelling the members of his family and ends up by sticking a label on himself (maybe the word "I" is written on that label). Does anyone have an idea where I could find that story? Maybe it was even written by Jorge Luis Borges.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,523 • Replies: 4
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 02:51 pm
@Sirijana,
If I recall it was a book by Gabriel Garcia-Marquez and the characters were suffering from an insomnia plague..... "One Hundred Years of Solitude" maybe?
boomerang

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 03:00 pm
@boomerang,
Yep. "One Hundred Years of Solitude".

Quote:
Rebeca brings an insomnia plague to the village‹a plague that causes everyone to live painlessly without sleep and to lose their memory. It gets so bad that Aureliano has to label everything in the house and, eventually with Jose Arcadio Buendia's help, the town. The plague does not end until Melquiades the gypsy returns. Old, decrepit, and apparently risen from the dead‹he claimed being dead was too lonely‹he brings not only an antidote to the plague but also a miraculous new invention, the daguerreotype. The Buendias have their first and only family photograph taken and Jose Arcadio Buendia becomes obsessed with making a daguerreotype of God, in order to prove His existence.

Though I suppose more than one book/story could feature someone labeling things and people.....
0 Replies

Sirijana

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 03:28 pm
Thanks to you! Unfortunately, it can't be Gabriel Garcia-Marquez, as I never read "A Hundred Years of Solitude". And I'm sure it wasn't a novel, just a short story (set in London?).

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/186320-1
boomerang

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 04:07 pm
@Sirijana,
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

If you don't get an answer here you might try asking at: http://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue/

They're pretty good at tracking things down.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Main character puts labels on everything including himself
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 12:18:24