I LOVE to read but...

SqUeAkz

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 03:40 pm
I love too read but i have trouble finding books. I really liked the story "Echo and Narcissist", and a book titled "Haunted." Have and suggestions?

P.S I DO NOT LIKE HARRY POTTER
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,246 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Individual

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 06:28 pm
What is your favorite genre?
0 Replies

SqUeAkz

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 08:27 pm
I like adult fiction, and "growing up stories" alot, I really liked the book "A day when no pigs would die"
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 03:51 am
Read Bleachers, by John Grisham. Then go read the rest of his stuff.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 04:48 am
Paulo Coelho.
I've read 3 so far and I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to someone who likes adult fiction. There's a common theme throughout the ones I've read so far, mainly the search for answers- meaning to life type stuff. I've read The Alchemist, The Pilgrimage, and Veronika Decides to Die. I believe The Alchemist is his most famous.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 04:49 am
Growing up stories? DEFINITELY fits the ones I've mentioned above.
0 Replies

SqUeAkz

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 04:04 pm
Thanks people! I check them out
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 04:25 pm
Wilso wrote:
Paulo Coelho.
I've read 3 so far and I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to someone who likes adult fiction. There's a common theme throughout the ones I've read so far, mainly the search for answers- meaning to life type stuff. I've read The Alchemist, The Pilgrimage, and Veronika Decides to Die. I believe The Alchemist is his most famous.

Brazil's pride and glory. lol
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 04:37 pm
Well, 'tis old - but JD Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye" is a classic gowing up story.

"The Yearling" by Marjorie Kinnan Rawling is likewise a classic - though slanted at a younger audience as well, it is a wonderful book - as is Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird".

I will go away and think - hope to find some more recent books for you...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 04:41 pm
Hmm - still on classics! James Joyce's "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" is wonderful, I think - and the most accessible of Joyce's works.

The first volume of Simone de Beauvoir's autobiography - "Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter" offers a very different view. Maxim Gorky's three volume autobiography is a delight - though very harrowing - the first volume is a wonder - it is called "My Childhood". -

Guess I am stuck with classics! Speaking of which, "Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain is an enduring and wonderful read.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 04:46 pm
More damn classics! Laurie Lee's "Cider With Rosie" is an astounding account of growing up in Edwardian England.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:12 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Wilso wrote:
Paulo Coelho.

Brazil's pride and glory. lol

Read any?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:18 pm
I don't know any of the books you listed as likeable, BA, but I'm reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Hadden and it's pretty good. Written as if from a 15 year old autistic's perspective.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:21 pm
Ah - thank you Little k! I was trying to remember that one - I want to read it!

Actually, growing up with a twist - Jeffrey Eugenides' "Middlesex". Great book, I think.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:30 pm
dlowan - glad to help!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 11:36 am
Love to read
Dlowan - I didn't know anybody read Laurie Lee any more. I loved that one!

The Curious Incident... is a great book - Hadden really gets inside that boy's head. BTW - it seems to be less autism that he suffers from, than a "milder" variant, called Asperger's Disease.
0 Replies