The Gospel of Barnabas

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 05:09 pm
Quote:
The £14million handwritten gold lettered tome, penned in Jesus' native Aramaic language, is said to contain his early teachings and a prediction of the Prophet's coming.

It rejects the ideas of the Holy Trinity and the Crucifixion and reveals that Jesus predicted the coming of the Prophet Muhammad.

In one version of the gospel, he is said to have told a priest: 'How shall the Messiah be called? Muhammad is his blessed name'.

And in another Jesus denied being the Messiah, claiming that he or she would be Ishmaelite, the term used for an Arab.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2105714/Secret-14million-Bible-Jesus-predicts-coming-Prophet-Muhammad-unearthed-Turkey.html

I know there are several Gospels that never made it to the Bible but this one is kind of a doozy, don't you think?

IF it is authenticated, how might this change things?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 724 • Replies: 6
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 05:28 pm
The article makes interesting reading, but I don't see too much to get excited about. I think it will be proven a fake.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 05:33 pm
It seems to be one of many Christian writings that didn't make the cut a long, long time ago. It's not going to change anything. Those writings certainly are interesting and shed light on the diversity of ideas within early Christianity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 06:06 pm
It's all pretty smelly to me . . . from your source:

Quote:
Despite the interest in the newly re-discovered book, some believe it is a fake and only dates back to the 16th century.

The oldest copies of the book date back to that time, and are written in Spanish and Italian.

Protestant pastor İhsan Özbek said it was unlikely to be authentic.

This is because St Barnabas lived in the first century and was one of the Apostles of Jesus, in contrast to this version which is said to come from the fifth or sixth century.

He told the Today Zaman newspaper: 'The copy in Ankara might have been written by one of the followers of St Barnabas.

'Since there is around 500 years in between St Barnabas and the writing of the Bible copy, Muslims may be disappointed to see that this copy does not include things they would like to see.

'It might have no relation with the content of the Gospel of Barnabas.'

Theology professor Ömer Faruk Harman said a scientific scan of the bible may be the only way to reveal how old it really is.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 08:00 pm
Looking around a bit I've found that a lot has been written about the Gospel of Barnabas. The known translations are in Italian and Spanish so this could be an earlier version. I guess we won't know until it's authenticated. I'll be interested to hear what comes of this.

I became interested in the co-mingling of Christianity and Islam when a Muslim A2Ker responded to a question I asked about Mary several years ago. Even though I'm not a religious person I've always been interested in religion and studied it quite a bit while in college. If I had the money I'd study it some more.

Maybe I just need to find a really good book about the lost Gospels.....
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 08:03 pm
@boomerang,
authenticated by whom?

the "church" will never recognize it.

muslims are right there with satan amongst the good baptists and pentecostals with whom I mingle...*

IMHO there are a hella lot of similarities between the two faiths.

*eduted to mention our friend dave as a prime example...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 07:11 am
@boomerang,
Not sure what you mean by "authentic"...but since you mentioned that it rejects the ideas of the "Holy Trinity"...that might make it suspect. The notion of "the trinity" really didn't come into being much before the 6th or 7th centuries.

Unless it treats the issue in a predictive way (as with the supposed Muhammud prediction)...it doesn't make sense.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Gospel of Barnabas
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:00:11