• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,989 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 12:42 pm
@hamilton,
It can be quite a an odyssey (especially when some crazy kid switches the covers).
hamilton

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 12:45 pm
@Sturgis,
I need to get the book on tape... the print of this book is kinda small and blurry, so my mind makes me skip lines without noticing. makes no sense at all...
Sturgis

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 12:54 pm
@hamilton,
Book on tape? Egads!
No, better you have your parents read it to you as a bedtime tale each night...insist upon it!

If the print is too small and blurry, head to the library and get a larger print version.

Or just go here and listen to the audio version:
http://www.archive.org/details/illiad_0801_librivox3
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 01:09 pm
hamilton says:
Quote:
and it's all greek to me...

I think you deserve a pi in the face for that one, hamilton. Is the story nu to you?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 01:26 pm
Didn't they have to rho their boat when the winds of the Mediterranean failed them?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 01:26 pm
Didn't they have to rho their boat when the winds of the Mediterranean failed them? I think it's kind of a cautionary tale about what happens when you get too many alpha males together in one place.
MrsVISHOUS2012

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 01:41 pm
@hamilton,
Hi Smile Saw you said you were reading the Iliad and thought i could help.
Don't worry I read it so many times since I was young and all those times I was confused. But you can listen to it as well on YouTube.
What ever is good for you:) This is just some points i made when i came to my fifth attempt at reading it.
Ok Any good translation of the Iliad would, of course be, the first book you should read in this regard.

Get a copy with out too many footnotes, and keep at your side a good dictionary of Greek mythological terms.(DO NOT IGNORE, REALLY HELPS)

Don’t skip over names and places that you don’t know, look them up in your dictionary You will be accustomed to them before you are halfway done.

Homer expected that his readers would be familiar with the characters and places, so his narrative requires quite a bit of foreknowledge to be understood.

Always read the original sources if you can, modern commentators can mislead you with their personal opinions.

Reading the Iliad itself will help you form your own opinion, then you can consult the footnoters with a grain of salt and tequila (if you are legal)

Good luck and i really hope this helped Smile
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 01:50 pm
@MontereyJack,
you sir, are a joke. and a good one. very punny.
0 Replies