Targeted Marketing

sumac

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 12:10 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/08/business/yourmoney/08BONU.html

When I was working at PepsiCo in their marketing division for software products, I was impressed by the sophistication with which they targeted their advertising and promotions, much like precision bombing in the military. And this was some 20 years ago.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how marketing has further refined this technique, and has this practice spread throughout the entire business community, not just consumer products?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,445 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 11:43 am
While at Fidelity, I worked in the CRM department. CRM stands for Customer Relations Management - basically what we would do is, we would work on the information coming off the web. People would write in asking for information, and the analysts' jobs were to match those people (given the info they had provided in their application for information) to the products they'd be most interested in. E. g. if someone said they were thinking of retirement, they'd be sent 401(k) information. I wasn't an analyst who did the matching - my job was in QA, to make sure that the website was working properly.

CRM is kind of on its way out these days, but that seems, to me, to be because it wasn't handled well by most companies. At Fidelity, it was understood that a human factor was needed, but in many other companies, the thought was that they could just buy some miracle software package which would do their target marketing for them - that's a pipe dream here in 2002, of course.
0 Replies

AaronAgassi

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 03:29 am
Pipedream, you say? So it seems... Then again, maybe not:
http://www.FoolQuest.com/casa.htm
0 Replies

Igor

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 03:56 pm
Good to know that there are smart businesses out there.

I consulted one company long time ago. Day 1 was like oppening the eyes to the little kitten that was just born.

Anyway, enough talk.
0 Replies