Can we make sense of deadly sins?

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 09:01 am
do deadly sins even exist or are they just something that we have created and made up?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,688 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Fido

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 02:49 pm
@michelleyy,
michelleyy wrote:

do deadly sins even exist or are they just something that we have created and made up?
There is plenty of morality behind it, and what hurts people hurts society... God simply confuses the issue... The life of God is like the life of society and immorality is death for a society...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 03:20 pm
@michelleyy,
Obviously the concept of "sin" is fabricated. Such a concept serves to regulate the social behavior of homo sapiens which as a cognate animal pays the mental price for its ability to "forward plan" by suffering from fear and anticipation of "consequences".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 07:03 pm
@michelleyy,
Vice is a transgression against oneself. If what you do hurts you, it certainly qualifies as vice.

Crime is a transgression against society. Whether or not what society defines as crime is arrived at in a capricious and arbitrary manner, one can be fairly certain that in committing crime, one runs the risk of being hurt by society.

Sin is a transgression agasint god. In that god is an undemonstrated proposition, one can only said to be hurt by sin to the extent that it can also be described as vice or crime. Deadly sin is a term specific to Catholic theology, although the concept is recognized by other christians. Specifically, the Catholic church divides sins into two categories: venial sins, minor affairs for which one might be punished, but which do not imperil one's immortal soul; and mortal (deadly) sins, which imperil one's immortal soul, meaning that one is damned for eternity unless one can secure divine forgiveness.

You are, as is everyone else, free to believe what you like about the matter.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 08:55 pm
@Setanta,
Good. I agree. So we can say in answer to the OP that we cannot make sense of "deadly sins".
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 12:18 am
I guess shooting oneself is the closest we can get to a deadly sin, once sins are necessarily committed against ourselves... Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 05:32 am
@JLNobody,
I don't know about "we" (you gotta mouse in your pocket?)--personally, i cannot make sense of the concept of sin of any description. Others are entitled to think differently, so long as they don't try to come pee in my backyard.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 05:35 am
@michelleyy,
michelleyy wrote:
Horrible behavior exists, although it's mostly relative. But "sin" in a catholic/christian sense is merely a concept within a religion.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 08:52 am
The seven deadly sins are all things that can consume you, make you unhealthy or stop you being happy. Gluttony, you obsess about foot and become a right fat bastard. Lust, you obsess about sex, and will never find love. Avarice, you become mean, and can only have a relatioship with material possessions. Rage, you go around being angry all the time, you're not likely to make a lot of friends, not to mention your blood pressure. Sloth, you never get anything done, or fulfil your potential. Envy, you spend all your life worrying about what other people have, you won't be happy like that. Pride, you're so full of yourself that you become insufferable.

Basically, whether or not you believe in God, these extreme forms of behaviour aren't healthy.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 08:56 am
@michelleyy,
They exist and don't exist. They exist in the sense of a list of items was created to help keep people on the straight and narrow. That is about as far as their existence really goes. See and use them as guidelines in life.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 10:53 am
@izzythepush,
Well put, Izzy.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 10:59 am
@JLNobody,
Thank you very much JL, I appreciate that after someone suffering from envy just voted me down.

Sorry, just read my post again, for gluttony I wrote foot instead of food, foot's another matter, probably more to do with lust than anything else.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 09:16 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The seven deadly sins are all things that can consume you, make you unhealthy or stop you being happy. Gluttony, you obsess about foot and become a right fat bastard. Lust, you obsess about sex, and will never find love. Avarice, you become mean, and can only have a relatioship with material possessions. Rage, you go around being angry all the time, you're not likely to make a lot of friends, not to mention your blood pressure. Sloth, you never get anything done, or fulfil your potential. Envy, you spend all your life worrying about what other people have, you won't be happy like that. Pride, you're so full of yourself that you become insufferable.

Basically, whether or not you believe in God, these extreme forms of behaviour aren't healthy.
They are also the destruction of society, and culture is knowledge, and a society has the sense to see when such behavior does not turn out well for anyone, whether or not it is strictly illegal...

What is illegal is illegal because there is an obvious victim... Where there is not an obvious victim, as in the case of abortion, some in society would make a victim... The one who must suffer the crime of abortion is the one who does the deed as much as the one who commits suicide must suffer his own murder... Traditonally, it was only the family of one killed who could make an issue of Murder even though the whole community might fear that the gods would punish them all for allowing a murder to go unpunished... The fact was, that no one but the family of the murderer could punish their own with death unless at the cost of blood feud... In the case of abortion, that one who kills her own to protect him from suffering a heartless and cruel society is doing society and her child a favor... Those who would make such behavior illegal have a moral argument to make, but they should make it against the reality every mother must suffer instead of against freedom, which no one can live without... Any mother who must make the choice of abortion is a victim of the churches which accept and encourage the injustice she suffers... They love the sin, and hate the sinner, but they accept the sinner if the sinner supports them in their sin... Look at the Governor of New Jersey who is a hog... No one can say he is not guilty of avarice since he wants the rights of the poor to their part of the commonwealth, but he is also a glutton... What he spills from his plate could likely keep several children alive, and what his whole class, and the church steels from society could make many secure in lives free from worry... They would rather make a law than change the reality mothers must deal with and which causes them to choose abortion...
0 Replies

demonhunter

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 11:12 am
@michelleyy,
I would also say that they are something that we have both made up and created. However, they absolutely exist and their meaning is the same regardless. Since they are our creation, we can make sense of them as well. That being said, overcoming sin is a different issue.
0 Replies