Fat Tuesday, mardi gras, carnival, food, music

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 07:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Cornish ice cream?
mismi

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 07:39 pm
@JPB,
It was a miserable rainy weekend for Mardi Gras. We took the boys down to Mobile and tried to get to them on Saturday but the weather shut them down. We had tornadoes down in Bayou LaBatre so there was no going in that mess! I miss Mardi Gras though. I haven't been regular in attending since I moved up to Birmingham.

We did eat King Cake this weekend though
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ae/Kingcake.jpg/270px-Kingcake.jpg
It was delicious. Of course there are also MOON PIES
http://www.moonpie.com/assets/templates/moonpie/images/chocolate-img.jpgthey are certainly delicious. They throw those in the parades. Not the King Cakes though. Very Happy

JPB - Have fun in Nola and be careful! That city is busting with folks this time of year! ((JPB))
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 02:32 am
@ossobuco,
Cornish ice cream is a vanilla ice cream which has a higher cream content than a lot of our ice creams. It originated in Cornwall hence the name.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 06:29 am
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......
farmerman

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 06:37 am
@JPB,
had some biskits with sasage gravy and then some heavily sugared fastnachts and latte. ISSIT just me or, whenever ya eat something with powdered sugar you can start coughing . Does sugar dust only get into my lungs? or should I stop breathing when I munch?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 06:33 pm
I was at about half of these events. This video says it much better than I can.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 10:34 am
@izzythepush,
we will, , be fasching the hell out of Shrove Tuesday this year because we will all probably be snowed in by a lst gasp storm that is now beginning as freezing rain.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 10:41 am
@farmerman,
It will probably hit us a week later and then it will be rain. I've not seen any snow this winter, seen a heck of a lot of rain though.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 12:25 pm
@farmerman,
Best spring weather here - today's (children) carneval parades had more spectators than usually (the larger and main parades are tomorrow).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:47 pm
We're in the full swing of Mardi Gras this week. Parades and gatherings daily since Wednesday night running straight through to Tuesday afternoon. The weather has been gorgeous. We each caught one of the much coveted shoes at this year's Muses parade. The weather turns south overnight tonight bringing rain and much cooler temperatures for the final two days of Carnival.

Thoughts to all who are looking at below zero temps and up to 14" of snow tonight.
farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:51 pm
@JPB,
I wanna be back in NAwlins. I miss my great years there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 04:58 pm
I've changed my avatar temporarily to the Carnivale masks made with focaccias (er, focacce) that I took a photo of in Venice (It). We got there about a week into lent, fine with me since I'm not much for big crowds but love focaccia.
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 07:29 pm
@ossobuco,
have to run over to Starsburg early tomorrow to buy our fastnachts.
Hot and served with powdered sugar or blackstrap molasses.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2014 07:33 pm
Parade cam is as close as I'm getting tonight. It's 41 degrees out there and very windy.

http://www.nola.com/paradecam/
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 12:21 am
20 pages with photos from the various local parades in the paper today - and we aren't even a really that carnival stronghold here.
0 Replies