Danerous biblical ambiguity

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 03:48 am
Any person or book providing ethical instruction or advice must use fairly correct terminology. Yet the English translation of the Bible has the term 'love' used to exhaustion and seldom if ever anything else. The ancient Greeks in their wisdom had some four words to describe the full spectrum of love. It may be doubted that 'love others as yourself' actually means other than brotherly love. Other parts of the Bible are more concerned with eros. Christians have taken agape for their own, unfortunately. Love of God is of course excellent if the 'god' loved is worthy of it. A suicide bomber may well love his god. It may be suspected that Christianity still 'fears' a god of raw power. As may have been said elsewhere altruism is not a value that can be demanded by moral law, and indeed Jesus of Nazareth does not appear to have been a lawgiver, despite the fanciful imagination of his biographers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,763 • Replies: 4
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 04:22 am
@RW Standing,
The whole book is a dangerous ambiguity. Anything which is followed through blind faith is.a societal land mine.
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 05:13 am
@rosborne979,
What's to do? Ambiguity makes all sorts of interpretation possible. Think of all the industry and businesses that are , at their core, a means to disseminate Biblical Myth. Its all done with tee shrts and ball caps

Remember, the eskimos have over 50 different terms for "ice" .

Sometime Ill have to talk about my "book report" as a nine year old kid. I made a book report about how Odysseus was fucked with by his gods but not much differently than Job or Abraham. (Catholics were not very big on us reading the OT),
rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 05:32 am
@farmerman,
It's the ambiguity in combination with faith that causes the real problem. That particular combination is just perfect for authority figures to step in and tell followers what to think and do. I'm not sure there has ever been a more effective tool for allowing the priesthood to control its peasants.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 06:13 am
@RW Standing,
RW Standing wrote:
The ancient Greeks in their wisdom had some four words to describe the full spectrum of love.

speaking of greeks and love, seems like a good opportunity to bash that creep al sharpton

White folks were in caves while we were building empires…. We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and those Greek homos ever got around to it.
Reverend Al Sharpton in a Speech at Kean College (1994)
0 Replies