Religion has hijacked Faith

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 02:02 pm
Faith is a value which everyone, including 'atheists' require. In the sense of hope and trust. Otherwise Faith simply means Religion. There cannot be faith in religion where it is false. We need religion where it is shown to be true, in any particular, and not otherwise. As to [the current debate] prayers at Council and other public meetings. If atheists are able to absent themselves at opening prayers, they should not object to prayers. Even the Dalai Lama believes people should pray if they wish, but he has no illusion that prayers are answered by 'God'.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,376 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 02:15 pm
@RW Standing,
Quote:
Faith is a value which everyone, including 'atheists' require.

We do?

Quote:
There cannot be faith in religion where it is false.

Where what is false, the faith or the religion?

Quote:
We need religion where it is shown to be true, in any particular, and not otherwise.

This eliminates everything to do with any of the bibles.

Quote:
If atheists are able to absent themselves at opening prayers, they should not object to prayers.

If people need to pray, they should not object to absenting themselves from non-religious gatherings to do so.

Quote:
Even the Dalai Lama believes people should pray if they wish

Which Dalai Lama, there have been 14 of them through the centuries? If you refer to the 14th, Tenzin Gyatso, do you have any citations for your claim?

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 02:18 pm
@RW Standing,
Wrong! Conviction is what may be required - not faith.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 02:30 pm
@RW Standing,
Quote:
Faith is a value which everyone, including 'atheists' require.

Why? This makes no sense.

Quote:
There cannot be faith in religion where it is false.

Well, there seems to be lots of faith...in religions that seem to be very false. So how do you account for that?

Quote:
We need religion where it is shown to be true, in any particular, and not otherwise.

We do not "need" religion under any circumstances, but how on Earth can you possibly establish any religious tenets to be true? And if you establish them to be true...why would you need faith?
fresco

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 02:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The first three sentences together make sense... not, the first on its own nor anything after the third.
(The OP should perhaps make clear that this is about a recent British legal ruling that "prayers" should not be part of a municipal council official agenda.)
http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2012/02/12/analysis-the-council-prayers-debate
rosborne979

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 02:58 pm
@RW Standing,
I think you formulated your statement very poorly. Perhaps English is not your strength?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 03:12 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
The first three sentences together make sense... not, the first on its own nor anything after the third.

Okay, Fresco, I want to trust you on this.

Here are the first three sentences:

Faith is a value which everyone, including 'atheists' require. In the sense of hope and trust. Otherwise Faith simply means Religion.

I have read those sentences over several times...and I cannot get them to make sense in any way. Not even remotely. I've even tried re-working them...but no go.

Can you re-write them in a way I can understand...and make sense of them?
fresco

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 03:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Okay...

"Faith" has a secular sense in that it describes the confidence we all have when we make daily inductive inferences (i.e have expectancies) about our relations with the physical and social world.

The OP title argues that this secular sense has been swamped by the religious usage of the word, but nonsense ensues in the post when religion is considered to be a candidate for empirical modification of confidence levels (aka "proof").
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 03:31 pm
@RW Standing,
People have faith that they may have certainty, and have certainty that they may have faith... It is like a one man circle jerk... You look behind the glossy vision to say thanks, and have no one to thank but the guy pulling the lever...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 03:55 pm
@fresco,
Thanks, Fresco.

And I truly get your point...although I object to the notion that "the confidence we all have when we (have expectancies) about our relations with the physical and social world")...should be called "faith"...or even infer it to be faith.

As you know, since I have talked about it so often over the years, I have a rather negative and cynical sense of the word "faith" when used in its "religious" context...and the negativity and cynicism prevents me for feeling at all comfortable using it the way RW Standing suggests (and as you explained.)

But your point about the first three sentences is now well taken.
0 Replies

1Prince

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 04:05 pm
Faith to God is not the same as the kind of blind faith man thinks of. Faith in God is what scripture defines it in the actions of the righteous and just man.Such as;

"The just man will live because of his faith."
"The just mans mouth speaks wisdom and his tongue does what is right."
"The Lord gives wisdom, from His mouth come knowledge and understanding_ "
Fido

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 08:18 am
@1Prince,
1Prince wrote:

Faith to God is not the same as the kind of blind faith man thinks of. Faith in God is what scripture defines it in the actions of the righteous and just man.Such as;

"The just man will live because of his faith."
"The just mans mouth speaks wisdom and his tongue does what is right."
"The Lord gives wisdom, from His mouth come knowledge and understanding_ "

All primitive peoples put a high price on justice, and justice was their honor; and faith does play a part in it because whether one admits it or not, faith in God is faith in the goodness of our fellow man... Without hope in the goodness of humanity there is no reason to quit fighting your neighbor, or give up your vengeance... God is, to many people, simply fate... And fate, like God- is an excuse for mercy... So we say it was fate that played a part in the death of one of ours at the hands of one of theirs, so no person should be forced to pay with a life for a life in a world governed by God or fate when without the concurance of God or fate no one could be killed... God takes some of the responsibility off the shoulders of mankind, and give us enough reason to look for peace for its own merits...As soon as people can make peace they begin to become one family, through marriage which is also a treaty, and for that reason the blessing of God is sought, objections are asked for and aired, and a curse leveled against those who would break the marriage apart...
0 Replies

1Prince

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 09:02 pm
The Lord says this;
"Faithfulness has disappeared, the word of God is gone from their speech".

For the Lord loves justice; he will not forsake his faithful ones. The righteous shall be kept safe forever, but the children of the wicked shall be cut off.

The Lord is faithful in all his words, and gracious in all his deeds.

The upright will dwell in the land, the blameless will remain in it.

And I will restore your judges as at the first(Israel), and your counselors as at the beginning. Afterward you shall be called the city of righteousness, the faithful city.

Thus says the Lord: I will return to Zion, and will dwell in the midst of Jerusalem; Jerusalem shall be called the faithful city, and the mountain of the Lord of hosts shall be called the holy mountain.

The son of man will come at a time you least expect.

If only you recognized Gods gift, and who it is that’s speaking to you, you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water. Anyone who drinks the water I give him will never become thirsty the water I give him shall be like a well inside him rising up to provide eternal life.

Truly I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes in the one who sent me possesses eternal life and will not come under condemnation, but has passed from death to life.
Truly I tell you, the hour is coming and is now here when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who have heeded it will live.
For just as the Lord God has life in himself, so too has he given his Son the possession of life in himself.
And he gave him power to pass judgment, because he is the Son of Man.
Do not be amazed at this, because the hour is coming in which all who are in there tombs will hear his voice and will come out, all those who do right shall rise to live, the evil doer’s will rise to be damned.

I am son of man. I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.
Everything that the Lord gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me, because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me.
Whoever chooses to do his will shall know about this teaching, namely, whether it comes from God or whether I‘m speaking on my own.
Whoever speaks on his own seeks his own glory, but whoever seeks the glory of the one who sent him is truthful, and there is no dishonesty in his heart.

Fido

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 10:19 am
@1Prince,
Ya; Ya...
0 Replies