Lordship and Bondage

bizmo

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 05:46 pm
I was wondering if anybody knows of a secondary source with a misleading, or bad, or misunderstood, interpretation of Hegel's Lordship and Bondage, or Notion of Recognition?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,358 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ChuckV

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 04:46 am
@bizmo,
Alexander Kojeve's famous "Introductory Lectures to the Reading of Hegel", (in which the Lordship and Bondage passages are treated thoroughly) while historically important in its own right, and perhaps intellectually stimulating and insightful, is a highly partisan (Marxist) reading of Hegel. When it comes to Hegel secondary literature, I try to avoid anything before 1960, and anything which fails to give due weight to the epistemological work Hegel meant for those passages to do. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good work on those passages before 1960s, and I think it worthwhile to attempt to understand the Lordship and Bondage passages from anthropological, or even feminist perspectives. Just if the goal is to understand Hegel qua Hegel, it's better to be on your guard.
0 Replies