Tulips affect frost post emerged

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 09:43 pm
Tulips frost coming post emerged but not flowering.do I need to cover.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,017 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 09:50 pm
@Aclemmons,
If I understand your question, then I don't think so. Most bulbs require a hard freeze in able to bloom in the spring.

If they have already emerged from winter dormancy, they might be vulnerable to a hard freeze.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 06:13 am
@Aclemmons,
This has been a scrrewy winter for us in the east. My daffodils and jonquils and tulips are all emerging too fats. SO, Ive covered them with a nice mat of straw so that the temperatures are just kept even and the flowers dont get nailed by the freezes we get every few days.

Snow cover doesnt hurt them it actually keeps the temps moderte and prevents bolting and early blooming. I think that, no matter what the spring holds, this wont be a great bloom year as several of the bulb flowers will be hurt by frosts.
Aclemmons

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 12:58 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks Roger and Farmerman. I have never used this site so my question did not come across as intended but you have both given me great insight. I have not attempted to grow bulbs as extensively as I am attempting to this year. I planted mid November, planted with fertilizer (organic) and dug a few up in December due to some unwanted visitors (voles) who made a run at them but I am vigorously fighting to save the bulbs. I was extremely surprised to see the few the mice did get had extremely long "beards" of roots and the bulbs had become very robust. I am very excited as my wife did not know they were in the ground. Now that they are peeking out the surprise has been thwarted. Of course I still want these to make. The locations of all were well thought out (maybe too well) and they are grouped so that potentially I could cover. Do either of you think it is worth the effort? Also, if I do lose them this year do you think they will make next year? Again, I have not had good luck in the past but this time I think I have done better. I have over 400 bulbs in and 350+ have peeked out. When I first saw them I placed soil conditioner atop to try to buy some time but they are coming through the layer. They are about 1/2 to 1" above the mulch. It has gotten cold (@28-30 degrees) the past several nights but they seem to be fine. It is going to get colder this week and I am sure we still have snow coming. Any advice on how to save them in a worst case scenario? I know what will happen if they bud and or flower but if I can keep them "low" I think I may have a shot. I appreciate and welcome any and all feedback. I am a rookie when it comes to bulbs. BTW- I live in middle TN just south of Nashville. Thank you both.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 01:07 pm
@Aclemmons,
Listen to Farmerman, go over to the feed store and get three bales of hay and rake out over the areas where the plants have peeked out. Scamps!

Once they do bloom in the warmer weather, you won't have much trouble raking the hay out to make it look prettier.

Joe(Happy Spring)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 03:10 pm
@Aclemmons,
You will probably lose flowers from a bunch. For Those that suffer cold burn and look poorly I would immediately cut the flowers off as soon as they bloom (This is what the commercial bulb producers do to guarantee that all the sterngth is channeled into the bulb). You should let the leaves just have their lives and dont do anything silly like cut them with a mower or "tie them into those silly daffodil mats". They will reard you next year with a great bloom and the next best thing, naturalized daffodils will produce more bulbs at an astonoishing almost logarithmoc rate.
Like the sorcerers apprentice you will see bulbs go from 1 to 2 to 4 to 8 and so on. When the really get to be a bunch for each floqwer, you should separate them and you will have new nuclei of daffodil families.
400 bulbs, I salute you sir.
I hope you had one of those daffodil dibbles
0 Replies