A Question about invisiblilty.

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 06:06 pm
I'm doing a project on a book about a boy who has turned invisible.(Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements). So in the book, the way the boy turns invisible is that he has a malfunctioning electric blanket that has a super high electric field. He sleeps under the blanket during a solar wind blast. I know its impossible but why would the author suggest that. Is there some science that is true about solar blast and its effect on a exaggerated electrical field of a blank that can possible turn a person invisible by way of refraction?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,089 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 06:11 pm
@moejoe13,
There is no scientific basis for any of that nor does the author expect you to believe that there is. The author simply needed an explanation for how the boy becomes invisible and invented this rather clever scenario. Don't expect scientific accuracy in any story of this sort. That's not what fantasy fiction is about.
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 07:29 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
He set up a condition that Michio Kaku has called the "Electric blanket" paradox where you werent actually invisible, instead you were moved ahead a day in time and you could move about unseen because you wouldnt really show up in that time portal until about a day later. You hadda know how to operate in this situation because you could basically live free.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 08:46 pm
@moejoe13,
Back in the 60's, "Radiation" was the magic scientific bogie man. You could make a man turn into a monster or a lizard turn into Godzilla just by adding a bit of radioactivity and referencing "Mutation". The fact that radiation could result in mutations during genetic replication was blow way out of proportion and extrapolated to the creation of monsters.

In this case however, it sounds like the author just needed to come up with a plot device that revolved around something common interacting with something exotic (but which people have heard about). Then he mixed those things together to create plausibility through ambiguity.

I don't think there's any scientific principle involved here which can be stretched strangely enough to result in invisibility.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 11:21 pm
@moejoe13,
Basic reality...

A lot of the science stuff you read about turns out to be bullshit (evolution, relativity, black holes, dark matter, dark energy, wormholes, string theory...)

But invisibility is doable.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8Es1vcSRdXuJcW9o9Gz7XgaEDdSFK138hUqq39UMt2VXXy8DIsA

One thing to keep in mind: of all the money spent on hunting paraphernalia, the least well spent is on camouflage gear. Bambi sees movement fairly well but sees forms badly if at all. I've known guys who have actually shot white-tail deer with bows and with white shirts and ties on just to prove to themselves it could be done.

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 11:51 pm
@moejoe13,
If you listen to gungasnake, moejoe, he'll try to convince you that the moon is really about the size of a half-dollar coin and made of parmesan cheese. He is one of the most ignorant posters on this site. For the luvva sanity, don't take anything he says seriously.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 09:37 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Jealousy is the one vice I totally refuse to participate in.
0 Replies