Burger King Delivers!

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 10:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Around here a pizza business wouldn't survive if it didn't do delivery. There are 4 big chains that deliver in my neighbourhood, and about a dozen small independents. Those delivery boxes fill the recycling boxes every week (and I see delivery vehicles out each night that I'm going to and from dance class).

The rotisserie chicken delivery and chinese food delivery vehicles are on the go non-stop as well.

I didn't realize that the U.S. economy was doing so much more poorly than the Canadian ecomy.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 10:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Does Costco do pizza in Canada ? Take and bakes and Costco have killed the delivery business here. The only model that works is in house pizza joint that does take out , usually with a bar. Seattle still has a fair amount of delivery, but there is more money there.

BTW: I just last week did the local joint delivery for the first time in 4 years....after tip it came to $25. With a coupon which I can always find I could have gotten the a better pizza of the same size at Papa Murphy's for $14 after tax. I could have gotten a slightly smaller pizza of the same quality as local joint at Costco for $10.50 after tax. I dont even want to talk about what little I got for my money the last time I tried Dominoes and Papa Johns many years ago. AND I used to be a loyal once a week pizza delivery customer once upon a time, but now I can't justify the delivery price/product ratio even though I have the money to spend if I wanted too.
Ceili

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 11:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Pizza joints would go out of business here if they didn't deliver. Remember Hawk, we have the winter weather and roads to contend with and a lot of hockey.
In Edmonton, pop. 1 million in the area, there are 4 Costco's. The line-ups are usually terrible and people tend to buy bulk, most don't shop every day for the nightly dinner. It's an event.. lol
There are a few Little Caesars, it's been years since I've been in one. I don't think they really compete with the delivery businesses, at least not in most areas of the city. I don't believe there are Papa John's here either. Maybe though, I don't order a lot of pizza.
The worst pizza is Pizza 73 (stingy), Pizza Hut (greasy), Panagopolus (stingy, greasy), Dominos (yuck) and a few buy 3 or 2 for ones...
Boston Pizza is good, but it costs a fortune. There are a few specialty places, expensive. The best ones are family owned and their prices are reasonable... a IMHO way better than Costco's. I had a slice at the store a week before Christmas and I couldn't finish it. It was terrible.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 07:51 am
@hawkeye10,
Costco offers pizza here. It isn't up to the standard of delivery pizza we're used to. It's a really competitive market.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 07:57 am
@ehBeth,
That's much more familiar to me than Hawkeye's version. And he was also saying how terrible the Columbus/Ohio economy was (not on this thread, it came up a bit ago though) so something doesn't compute.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 09:44 am
@hawkeye10,
I thought I heard it was a $2 delivery charge - not sure - but I'd imagine they would work the cost into it (or you would think they would).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 09:44 am
@Region Philbis,
Wendy's is closer
Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 09:47 am
@hawkeye10,
Love Papa Murphys unfortunately there isn't one in Mass.

The reason they said they choose DC was due to the diversity that it represents a good enough cross-mix to be a good test market..
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 10:49 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Love Papa Murphys unfortunately there isn't one in Mass.

The reason they said they choose DC was due to the diversity that it represents a good enough cross-mix to be a good test market..

Ya, I am aware that this is what they said, however my assertion is that it is most likely to work in DC and they are doing their best to sell the idea to the stakeholders and to have a success story to tell ny trying this idea first in the most hospitible location.

Do you believe everything you read in a press release?
Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:34 am
@hawkeye10,
no at all - I was going to add ---- at least that is what they claim....DC really does not have a diverse population.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 01:30 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Wendy's is closer
closer, but not better... 2 Cents
0 Replies