What Jobs Will Never Be Done By Robots?

saab

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:15 am
@msolga,
I have dishwascher.
Cleaning the house will at that point probably be a welcoming exchange for doing nothing all day long.
saab

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:16 am
@roger,
May I at least be allowed to cook my own meals and choose my own wine?
msolga

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:24 am
@saab,
Quote:
I have dishwascher.
Cleaning the house will at that point probably be a welcoming exchange for doing nothing all day long.

Ah but not doing anything all day long (or not) is a choice.
I would be delighted to swap mind numbing repetitive household chores for extra free time for more creative & satisfying activities like gardening, cooking, reading, watching films I've been meaning to see for ages .... etc, etc, etc ....

(ps ... I don't have a dishwasher.)
roger

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:29 am
@saab,
If you think you know more than your robots, you are probably wrong. But yes, you may submit a request.
0 Replies

saab

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 05:22 am
@msolga,
That is exactly what I mean.
Roboter are doing our work at the workingplace and we stay home and are creative, spend time with our friends and relatives, whatever we like to do in the house.
Certain things I might like to swap with a neighbour instead of a roboter do it.
You come over with your dirty dishes to my dishwasher, and while you iron my shirts we talk and afterwards we drink tea or coffee.
So much nicer than having that iron man around.
roger

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 06:03 am
@saab,
Okay, he won't drink tea with you. I think we've found their weak point.
Eorl

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 08:35 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:
What jobs, in your opinion, could never be done by computers/robots, no matter the level of technology?

Prostitution would do for starters.....

Completely disagree. A future robot version could be guaranteed to be a safe, cleaner alternative, with an arguable case of different "moral hazards" and could even conduct it's own on the spot testing to let you know if you picked up anything dodgy elsewhere. Every single model would be beautiful and ideally suited as a partner for a wide variety of customers.
Prototypes already exist.( Best not elaborate.)
Come on folks, it's like there's no imagination going on here at all.
Eorl

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 08:52 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

When all jobs are taken by robots what will we do?
What will you do so you don´t get crazy of boredom?

That's a whole other question. Unrelated to whether or not it will happen. We won't even start to think about what we want to do until we've managed to offload all the things we think we don't want to do.
Anyway, why should we do things we don't want to do, when they can be done more cheaply and efficiently via machines? Are you really advocating that people be made to work for it's own sake?
0 Replies

saab

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 10:18 am
@roger,
I don´t think he will good to hold my hand during a thunderstorm.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 10:32 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Actors and Actresses are already starting to become obsolete as animation gets better and better. After we perfect holographic technology there will be no reason to go to a theater as completely human 3D beings are transmitted into your home. You will get a front row seat every time with no distractions.
I wasn't including animation or holography in my argument as "robots". I'm only referring to physical objects.

Also, I consider it very different having a "robot", even a graphic one, creating a character autonomously versus having an army of animators and engineers and actors collaborating on the characterization of a specific scene for a movie.

The question I was responding to was "what JOBS will never be done by robots".
Thomas

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 11:52 am
@Eorl,
I don't see any limit either. After all, I'm a robot and you're a robot, and we can all do quite a lot of jobs, can't we?
0 Replies

Thomas

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 11:53 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
robopriests would have an advantage to the well being of little boy parishioners.

Indeed, boy parishioners could be replaced by electric monks, who could then do humans' believing for them. Douglas Adams has written a novel about one.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 12:45 pm
@rosborne979,
Fine Rosborne. There won't be any robot actors for the same reason as their won't be any robot typists or robot lamplighters. There will be no actors in the future.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 12:48 pm
@Eorl,
Absolutely right, Eorl. The concept of mechanical sex partners was touched upon way back in the 1970s in the Yul Brynner Westworld movies.
0 Replies

Takeruskep

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 03:26 pm
@failures art,
Jobs will never be done by robots, because if robots take away our work force, then we will only have one workforce, the workforce to create the robots. If we only have one workforce, that means 85-90% of the people would be unemployed. This would create a catastrophe!! Just imagine 85%-90% of people with no jobs, no money, ultimately no COMFORT!
Lustig Andrei

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 03:57 pm
@Takeruskep,
Takeruskep wrote:

Jobs will never be done by robots, because if robots take away our work force, then we will only have one workforce, the workforce to create the robots. If we only have one workforce, that means 85-90% of the people would be unemployed. This would create a catastrophe!! Just imagine 85%-90% of people with no jobs, no money, ultimately no COMFORT!

So why do you believe that this can "never" happen?
Butrflynet

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:08 pm
@Takeruskep,
Jobs are already being done by robots in manufacturing plants, Takeruskep. And, yes, those robots have eliminated numerous manufacturing jobs.

Here are some examples:

ossobuco

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
I wouldn't mind some little robot thing doing my weeding, sort of like those floor cleaning thingies - not so much now, though I'm presently lousy at weeding, but I used to keep my gardens hand weeded very well. Alas, they'd probably take out the plants I've ever wanted in place. Weeding can be quite the zen type experience, but one could use a break. And further, a weeder like that for farming areas could help to elimate some questionable chemicals and the resultant programed resistant agricultural plants that are, at the least, not diversified.
0 Replies

Takeruskep

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 06:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Because if a lot of Jobs were taken by robots then people would riot over their Job Loss.
As someone below you posted, we have lost many jobs in manufacturing!
As a result more people were unemployed!
When we lose too many jobs to robots, then you know what would happen.
Lustig Andrei

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 07:04 pm
@Takeruskep,
Takeruskep wrote:

Because if a lot of Jobs were taken by robots then people would riot over their Job Loss. Would they? Not if their compensation for not working was adequate.

As someone below you posted, we have lost many jobs in manufacturing! Exactly! And those mfg. jobs are getting rarer. You see any rioting at the factories?

As a result more people were unemployed!
When we lose too many jobs to robots, then you know what would happen. No, the point is, I don't know what would happen. Perhaps nothing.
0 Replies