What Jobs Will Never Be Done By Robots?

Eorl

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 07:36 am
@Questioner,
I can't honestly imagine any job a robot could never do.

I can only think of one that I think a robot shouldn't do, and that is; be in charge of what robots are allowed to do.

Even then, I'd probably want to discuss my ethical stance with R. Daneel Olivaw just to be sure.

softballstar 48

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 08:26 am
@failures art,
i think that robots can never be plumers because i have seen the plumer that comes in and he comes out sort of wet. and robots can't get wet. robots also can't be school janitors or any janitor in fact. actually any job that has to do with water.
saab

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 08:42 am
I don´t think robots will ever really be creative, coming up with new good books, art, music, being an actor or singer or musician, fashion designer, comedian.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 08:44 am
@softballstar 48,
I hate t o tell you, but you are wrong about the robots can't get wet thing.

0 Replies

Anomie

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 08:46 am
@failures art,
It is the Kardashev scale, in the case of a type-3 civilisation, harvesting resources of an entire galaxy, it is a cosmological interpretation, however it suggests theoretical possibilities, such as teleportation being practical with satisfactory energy development.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 07:38 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
What jobs, in your opinion, could never be done by computers/robots, no matter the level of technology?
There's probably nothing that can't be done with unlimited technology (as you proposed). Even human beings could be considered biological machines, and if technology were extended far enough we could easily end up with biocybernetics like Blade Runner type machines.

But keeping things within some limit of reasonable human technology and progression, I would think that "Actors and Actresses" would be a very difficult field to infiltrate. A "robot" would have to imitate a human with near perfect precision and be able to replicate different personalities and convince an audience of its "human-ness". That combination is going to be very difficult in physical appearance, movement, behavior, expression, language and understanding. A machine that could do that would be essentially indistinguishable from a human being, and if we run into that, it's not jobs that we're going to have to worry about but our dominance and survival as a species.
Anomie

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 08:22 pm
@rosborne979,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXO7KGHtjI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcZJqiUrbnI

I am certain it will occur.

If a robot has sentient quotient of a human, is it an anthropomorphic fallacy to define this robot human.

If you enjoy reading, I recommend 'do androids dream of electric sheep?'.

farmerman

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 08:29 pm
@Anomie,
theater critics
rosborne979

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 08:37 pm
@Anomie,

Maybe so, but those two videos are good examples that it hasn't happened yet and isn't even very close to happening. Those stage presences bear only the slightest resemblance to a true human. And close-up "actors and actresses" which I was referring to, are much much more difficult to imitate than mere stage dancers.
Anomie wrote:
If you enjoy reading, I recommend 'do androids dream of electric sheep?'.
That book was the basis for Blade Runner (which I mentioned above). I read it many years ago. If you enjoy reading, I recommend _Midnight at the Well of Souls_, just for the fun of it Smile
0 Replies

Anomie

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 08:38 pm
@farmerman,
Is there consciousness?

Is neurology a system of wiring and coding?

Also, I will look for this book.
thack45

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 08:43 pm
@farmerman,
hehehe
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 08:43 pm
@Anomie,
Quote:
Is there conscience?

What, in a theater critic? I suggest that I am not sufficiently equipped to evaluate this concept.

0 Replies

Ceili

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 09:50 pm
I suggest that while this seems a beautiful dream, we humans cannot be just consumers. There is only a finite amount of resources we can produce things with, and once their gone what then? There is a certain irony in the fact the just as we reach the level where this seems almost possible, we are using our resources at an astronomically fast rate. Possibly running out of the very things we need to make a robot culture a reality.
Anywho...
Back to the original question at hand.
What job will never be done by robots?
Anything to do with religion. No android priests, nuns, preachers, ministers and the like. As robots, one would think, would have to be logical. There is no logic in religion. Unless you sell bibles et al.
farmerman

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 10:21 pm
@Ceili,
robopriests would have an advantage to the well being of little boy parishioners.

Robots all over would have us become like the Eloi in Wells "The Time MAchine"
maxdancona

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 11:30 pm
@rosborne979,
Actors and Actresses are already starting to become obsolete as animation gets better and better. After we perfect holographic technology there will be no reason to go to a theater as completely human 3D beings are transmitted into your home. You will get a front row seat every time with no distractions.

Lustig Andrei

Sat 7 Jan, 2012 11:53 pm
@maxdancona,
I recommend a fine sf short story called "The Darfstellar" by that guy Miller who also wrote A Canticle for Leibowitz and whose first name I can never remember. Embarrassed It's been anthologized. It postulates a future theater world where most leading roles on stage (not on screen) are given to life-like androids because they don't flub their lines and don't need rest between performances.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 12:45 am
@failures art,
Quote:
What jobs, in your opinion, could never be done by computers/robots, no matter the level of technology?

Prostitution would do for starters.....
saab

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 03:55 am
When all jobs are taken by robots what will we do?
What will you do so you don´t get crazy of boredom?
msolga

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:06 am
@saab,
Not if they wash my dishes & clean my house, saab
I could easily live with that! Smile
roger

Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:12 am
@saab,
Eat? You know; get up for breakfast, take a nap, get up for lunch, take a nap. . . .