what is this debate about?

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 05:19 am
"When it came to first writing this material a couple of years ago, I vividly remebered that experience and my sense of indignation, because it was just so impressive to me that somebody my age (at the time) could have the nerve (and the courage) to focus upon and think about owning a Ferrari and then move in that direction! It was eye-opening, to say the least. But this memory taunted me during my writing because then, and to this day, I could do the Ferrari, yet I haven't. I hear that all-too-familiar inner voice, 'Mike, you don't need a Ferrari! Look at all that's going on in your life: all the travel, investments, and adventure!' And then another voice reminds me, 'Mike, nobody needs a Ferrari. That's not why you get a Ferrari.' Then I counter that I really don't care that much about having one, and the debate continues. So I've still got a tug-of-war going on somewhat. But, I'm an adventurer like you, and the learning and discovery process never ends." ---Mike Dooley Manifesting Change

In the last few sentences, the author mentions a debate. I cannot understand the debate. What's the opinion of each side?
This part is extremely confusing:
"And then another voice reminds me, 'Mike, nobody needs a Ferrari. That's not why you get a Ferrari.' Then I counter that I really don't care that much about having one, and the debate continues. "
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,333 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 06:05 am
@Justin Xu,
He's expressing his thought processes as an internal debate. That is, he is thinking about the pros and cons of buying a very expensive car that cannot be justified in practical terms. He can't make up his mind if he wants to buy a Ferrari, or not.
Justin Xu

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 06:47 am
@roger,
Thank you roger! I now know the meaning of the debate, but I still could not understand this part: "Mike, nobody needs a Ferrari. That's not why you get a Ferrari." What does this mean? The author should buy one or should not?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 07:26 am
The key word is NEED.

His inner voice is really saying, "Mike, you really don't NEED a Ferrari - and neither does anyone else really NEED one. So don't make that kind of argument for whether or not you should get one."

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 08:22 am
I feel the original text may be a little confusing:

Quote:
And then another voice reminds me, 'Mike, nobody needs a Ferrari.

I would rather italicise and thus emphasise the word "needs". The point is that a Ferrari is an overpriced luxury or vanity item. The author is having an internal struggle between greed and prudence.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 08:56 am
The problem with getting a Ferrari is that after you get one, you have one.

Joe(yes, there's that.)Nation
roger

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 04:29 pm
@Joe Nation,
And then you have to insure it.
0 Replies