apostasy?

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 10:34 am
Is there scripture to support leaving one church for another?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,278 • Replies: 11
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 03:41 pm
@Gator-FBC,
Interesting - it would be a risky area wouldn't it, every chance the support of a conversion one way could be flipped to support a conversion the other way.
Gator-FBC

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 08:00 pm
@hingehead,
Is there a doctrine that would support such a position?
hingehead

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 08:26 pm
@Gator-FBC,
The only things I know of (and I'm no theologist) is the idea of converting others (ie causing apostasy, as opposed to experiencing it).

Interestingly in the Abrahamic religions the later the religion started the more forgiving it is of it's predecessors. So Christians use the history of the jews as part 1 of the bible (the old testament) and the Koran recognises christianity and judaism as 'divinely revealed' religions.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 08:36 pm
@Gator-FBC,
The Bible is a Rorschach test. It says whatever you want it to say.

Tell me what you want the answer to be and I will give you scripture to back it up.
Gator-FBC

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 04:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Tell me where it says that running up and down the isles and speaking in an "unknown" tounge is doctrinally sound. What do these indicate or verify as far as salvation and the Holy Ghost are concerned.
Gator-FBC

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 04:13 pm
@hingehead,
My question does not concern different religion, both churches are of a sound Christian faith. Why would one church that has different doctrinal teaching be favored over another if both lead to salvation.
hingehead

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 06:10 pm
@Gator-FBC,
An excellent question - maybe researching the birth of churches might provide a clue? The reformation for example. Or Mormonism.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 06:13 pm
@Gator-FBC,
PS both christianity and islam are the same religion worshipping the same god. Maybe there is something to be learned in gauging the point a sect becomes another religion.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 10:31 pm
@Gator-FBC,
Quote:
And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
Mark 16:17

Quote:
While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God.
Acts 10:44

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 06:01 am
@hingehead,
Nonsense. If Islam can be said to derive from any previous religion, it would be confessional Judaism.
hingehead

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 06:18 am
@Setanta,
Truly Set - you think Islam doesn't acknowledge Christ? He gets more mentions than Mohammed apparently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam - it even acknowledges virgin birth.
0 Replies