Will someone ever reach the status and wealth of a trillionaire in the next 50 years??

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 10:25 am
Will someone ever reach the status and wealth of a trillionaire * in the next 50 years??

And what main industry would you speculate will be his or her greatest asset/financial association?
* [And I'm defining trillionaire as someone who has a fortune based in US dollars at or around the currency's current market value AND NOT a current billionaire if you converted his money into Zimbabwean Dollars]
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,453526,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,246 • Replies: 13

Ragman

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 11:09 am
@tsarstepan,
Sorry, but my focus right now is having money for my groceries and rent. Millionaires, billionaires, trillionaires are just not of real interest. if one person gets to the point of having that much revenue...that would indicate to me that the economy and the political system have miserably failed - just like Zimbabwe.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 12:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not if you are excluding inflation. There hasn't even been a trillion-dollar company yet and a single individual is incredibly unlikely to reach that kind of wealth in the next 50 years.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 12:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh I did it years ago. Since I was a wee lad, I've had leprechauns bringing me pots of gold and I've invested it wisely.

Yup, I'm close to broke and have at least 2 creditors calling daily. Now I ask, why should I pay a medical bill for a hospital that has shut down?

Will somebody ever reach that level within the 50 years next? Anything is possible.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 12:14 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis? Do you have that leprechaun's cell number?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 12:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I was trying to exclude someone from bringing in an insane example of deflation when I wrote the original thread.
Thomas

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 02:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Will someone ever reach the status and wealth of a trillionaire * in the next 50 years??

Currently, the richest people in the world own about $50-100 billions worth of wealth. Assuming that worldwide wealth inequality stays about the same as today, worldwide nominal dollar wealth would have to grow by 6% to bring it up to $1 trillion in 50 years. That's realistic if you split it into 3% real annual growth and 3% annual inflation. It's not realistic if all the 6% are supposed to come from real growth alone.

Which industries is the growth going to come from? Almost certainly some industry we're not thinking about right now.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 03:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
I saw that and wanted to make sure we were excluding normal American dollar inflation as well.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 05:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Do you have that leprechaun's cell number?
RAinbow7-**** Not sure of the local area code, I have it on speed dial.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 03:42 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Which industries is the growth going to come from? Almost certainly some industry we're not thinking about right now.

Asteroid mining! Surprised Shocked
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 12:13 pm
Whoever sets up a successful mission and subsequent mining operation to this following planet WILL easily be a trillionaire:
Bizarre alien super-Earth planet probably made of diamond
The alien planet, a so-called 'super-Earth,' is called 55 Cancri e and was discovered in 2004 around a nearby star in our Milky Way galaxy.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/1011/Bizarre-alien-super-Earth-planet-probably-made-of-diamond
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 06:52 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Asteroid mining! Surprised Shocked

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2020 10:00 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Not if you are excluding inflation. There hasn't even been a trillion-dollar company yet and a single individual is incredibly unlikely to reach that kind of wealth in the next 50 years.

Since this thread, there have beenseveral $trillion companies.
Alphabet (AKA Google)
Apple.
Microsoft.
Amazon.
PetroChina.
engineer

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2020 09:42 am
@tsarstepan,
It is reasonable for someone that wealthy to be able to double their money every 8 years (9% return). Even at 6%, it is every 12 years, so in 50 years, you could conservatively expect someone like Bezos to have 16x the wealth he has today. He's over 100 billion today so sure, there is a path.
0 Replies