Kirk Douglas: Happy 95TH

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 08:07 pm
Kirk Douglas, the cleft-chinned actor best known for his roles in movies like "Spartacus," "Out of the Past" and "Lust for Life" and for fathering actor/director Michael Douglas, celebrates his 95th birthday on Friday (Dec. 9).

Douglas was born to Russian-Jewish parents (he titled his 1988 autobiography "The Ragman's Son") in Amsterdam, N.Y., in 1916. At Saint Lawrence University he became a champion wreslter, but an interest in acting drew him to the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City. From 1941 to 1945 he served in the Navy before returning and making his way to Hollywood. His first role was in 1946's "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" with Barbara Stanwyck and Van Heflin.

Huffington Post writer John Farr sums up Douglas' larger-than-life life nicely:

An iconic star and producer in Hollywood, he has lived the life of ten men. He was almost on the plane that went down with producer Michael Todd in 1958. He broke the Hollywood blacklist by insisting that screenwriter Dalton Trumbo receive credit for "Spartacus." He survived a helicopter crash that killed two others. He suffered a massive stroke that robbed him of his speech, and then worked ceaselessly in therapy to regain it. He's seen one son become a star, and lost another to a drug overdose.

Although he never won an Academy Award, he was given an honorary Oscar in 1995.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,140 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 11:28 pm
Fine, fine performer. Frankly I didn't realize he was still alive. Happy Birthday, Kirk!
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 10:33 am
@edgarblythe,
Fine actor with so many good films to his credit.

One Kirk Douglas film I would love to see again is , "The List of Adrian Messenger"--the all-star cast in this playful absorbing thriller can't be beat, yet the movie never seems to pop up on cable TV.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057254/
Code:
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:00 pm
Strange, but when I think of Kirk Douglas (I mean how he looked, his appearance in his younger days) what comes to mind is a movie that probably nobody remembers today. It was a Grade B Western, the type reserved to be shown at Saturday matinees. Man Without a Star. Don't remember anything about the plot, really, but certain scenes keep cropping up in my mind. Mid 1950s. I think Claire Trevor was the co-star.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 06:00 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Another Kirk Douglas movie that comes readily to mind: The Vikings, also starring Tony Curtis, Janet Leigh and Ernest Brgnine. Swashbuckling at its finest!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 07:50 pm
I recently watched Last Train to Gunne Hill and Gunfight at OK Corrall. One of his great rolls was Lonely are the Brave.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 11:50 am
HAPPY # 101, Mr. Douglas
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 11:54 am
https://ca.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/2017120944659/catherine-zeta-jones-message-kirk-douglas-101-birthday/

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/imagenes/celebrities/2017120944659/catherine-zeta-jones-message-kirk-douglas-101-birthday/0-226-150/czj-kirk-douglas-birthday-a.jpg
0 Replies