No top replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 07:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wow, still working at 92! Good on him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:12 pm
Kirk has a page on Myspace and I keep up with him there.
Reyn

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Just for curiousity, can you provide a link so I can browse (if that's okay?)?
Reyn

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 05:55 pm
@Reyn,
Hey, Edgar, did you see my post above?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 07:54 pm
@Reyn,
I just this here instance sawr it. Wait a few minutes and I shall have it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 07:57 pm
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=171170276

If you put in a request to be his friend - It took a week or two before he got around to mine, but he will approve it.
Reyn

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 01:02 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=171170276

If you put in a request to be his friend - It took a week or two before he got around to mine, but he will approve it.

Thanks, Edgar. I'm home late from work, so will check out tomorrow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 02:23 am
@edgarblythe,
I get a kick out of Douglas, but... that's it.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 05:33 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I get a kick out of Douglas, but... that's it.

I think if you were to read some of his statements on Myspace your opinion of him would change for the better.
Reyn

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 01:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, I had a good read of Kirk Douglas' page. So many folks have left positive comments. Amazing!

I think it's wonderful that a person of his age continues to be so active with his various projects on the go. I saw a clip on TV a short while ago in regards to his stint as a one-man show. Despite his lingering problems with the stroke he had in the past, he does remarkably well.

Some of my more memorable favourites starring Kirk:
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The List of Adrian Messenger
Seven Days in May
Is Paris Burning?

How about you?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 03:17 pm
I like most of the films I have seen him in.
Last Train From Gunne Hill
Lust For Life
Lonely Are the Brave
Spartacus
The Big Trees
Gunfight at OK Corral
20000 Leagues

Just the ones I can think of, but there are more. I did not like Villain, I think. The comedy where he jumps at his horse but misses.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 03:48 pm
I took two of his statements fom Myspace to give a sample to the ones who do not want to click on my link. edgarblythe

As you know, I urged the young people to vote. And I'm so gratified that we had the largest number of young people voting that we've ever had. Of course, I was careful not to sway their votes. But I must admit, I'm very happy that our country has made such a historical move. The world will be astounded that the United States has elected a black man to lead them. I never imagined that such an event would be possible during my lifetime. I think our country will now go on a course that permits us to work with other countries.
The comments that I received from other countries all tell me how much people have the same dreams and we must all work together in order to fulfill those dreams.

My housekeeper has a daughter, Victoria, who is seven years old. I taught her to swim about a year ago. Now I'm sorry I did because every day she wants me to swim with her. She gives me a head start and always beats me. Now, don't tell her what I said, but sometimes, I'm too tired to race her in the pool. But she doesn't know that I'm 91 years old. Or if she does, she doesn't care. So be careful what you teach young kids, you may regret it later.

Reyn

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 04:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
[...] She gives me a head start and always beats me. Now, don't tell her what I said, but sometimes, I'm too tired to race her in the pool. But she doesn't know that I'm 91 years old. Or if she does, she doesn't care. So be careful what you teach young kids, you may regret it later.

Laughing Good sense of humour, he has.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:36 pm
Taken tonight from Kirk's Myspace blog:

I did it -- 4 performances of my one man show, Before I Forget, at the Kirk Douglas Theatre in Culver City. Full houses and they seemed to like it. It was very gratifying to me but, I am exhausted. At the last night curtain call, my wife came onstage to give me an ice cream cone, then my son Peter entered with my grandson Tyler to give me ANOTHER ice cream cone. At my final bow, my dog Danny came on. I talked about Danny in the show. If any of my friends saw Before I Forget, I would love to hear from you. Now, back to reality.
The world is still in a mess. But I think our president Barack Obama is doing a good job. I just hope that all Americans can pull together and not place so much emphasis on being Democrats or Republicans. Let's place emphasis on being Americans.
Before I forget, at an earlier show, my son Michael came on to give me an ice cream cone. I'm stuffed.
Reyn

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 07:55 am
@edgarblythe,
Laughing Ice cream cones? I wonder where that comes from?

He seems to be enjoying himself.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:43 am
He aged very well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 07:05 pm
More from Kirk's blog:

Anne and I just came back from our trip to New York. We were both honored by CASA - Center for Alcohol and Substance Abuse. My son Michael was one of the MC's with Julie Chen. CASA wanted us to talk about our son Eric who died from an overdose of drugs when he was in his 40s. It was very difficult to talk about it, but it helped CASA in their attempts to battle addiction.
While we were in New York we saw some plays on Broadway. You know, I never wanted to be movie actor, my goal in life was to be a star on the stage. Two of the shows were revivals West Side Story and Hair. They were both very well done and both of them brought back memories to me of many years ago. Hair was very enjoyable but a little sad to me because it brought back the time of the Vietnam War, when so many young people were killed in a useless venture. But in Hair the young people were expressing themselves. A good show!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 03:23 pm
His Blog:

I must be clumsy. I was sitting on a chair dictating to my assistant Grace, I got up out of the chair, stumbled and fell against the wall. My foot was painful but I thought it would go away. The next day it got worse and my wife made me see a doctor. I was surprised to learn that I broke a bone in my foot and now I have to wear a heavy boot for a month!

When I told my speech therapist, Betty McMicken, of my accident she laughed. But it "inspired" her to write this poem:

Metatarsal Mash

You had that silly, inconvenient crash

That's when you met the metatarsal mash

Pretty quick you knew, you had cracked 'er

With a left distal metatarsal fracture

So you're clumping 'round in a walkin' boot

It even decorates your birthday suit

Wear it a month for your bones to mend

And please try not to overextend

Take time when you walk from here to there

Look where you're goin', be aware

Of stuff in your path, don't be rash

Think when you move to avoid a crash

Don't jog or dance, slow your step

Make each move with a solid prep

Watch where you go, don't fall over Danny

Hawk those eyes or land on your fanny

Take this time to write like mad

Scribble a poem on a writing pad

Finish that book on sculptures please

Show your composition expertise

Weren't you a peg leg in Scalawag?

Back in character you can brag

This time the role is a brief repeat

Cause in a month you'll be fleet of feet!

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 03:22 pm
Quote:
A few weeks ago, I made a visit to the Kirk Douglas High School. I am proud that they asked to name their school after me. One of my pet projects is to try to inspire young people to at least have a high school education. Then, I try to encourage them to go to college. As a small inducement I give every graduate a $500.00 check. When I spoke to the students I was surprised that they each gave me their personal pledge of what they wanted to do in life to improve our world: from volunteering in hospitals and local schools, to supporting our troops by sending letters and care packages. One student has agreed to help the elderly by volunteering at a convalescent center (I wonder if I inspired him Smile

I am proud of the students of Kirk Douglas High School.

MySpace came along to tape the visit.
0 Replies