Another Nasty (and Serious) Internet Worm

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:26 am
Be careful about opening E Mail attachments. In fact, if you do as I do, NEVER open them. There is a real nasty worm going around, and the companies that deal with that stuff are scrambling to figure it out.

Link to Nasty Computer Worm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 687 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:32 am
Thanks for the warning, Phoenix. I see you have your new computer up and running green. Congratulations!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:37 am
Noddy- Thanks. It purrs along like a Rolls-Royce! Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:48 am
More on the Worm

Hmm............There is something rotten going on here.

Quote:
Once a user's computer is infected, it is programmed to send large amounts of data to the Web site of the SCO Group, a Lindon, Utah-based company that, in effect, claims ownership over portions of the widely used Linux open-source operating system. SCO is pursuing legal action against IBM Corp. and other companies, asserting that Linux includes portions of the Unix operating system to which it claims copyright ownership. The open-source community disputes SCO's claims on Linux.

The more immediate problem for computers infected with the worm is that they will automatically allow the virus's authors to connect remotely and upload files such as malicious software to forward spam e-mails. The worm also creates a mass-mailing of itself that is expected to clog many corporate e-mail servers or slow down Internet traffic, according to Cupertino, Calif.-based anti-virus software developer Symantec Corp.

Does anyone know more about this lawsuit?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:50 am
Here's Symantec's write-up for the worm (includes removal instructions): W32.Novarg.A@mm

I got about 10 emails with Novarg/Mydoom today Mad, but Norton AntiVirus was running so no biggie.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:52 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Does anyone know more about this lawsuit?

The SCO Group's threats and lawsuits have been big news in the Linux world for about a year now, Phoenix. Recently RedHat decided to sue SCO and setup a legal fund to help open source companies, and SCO is talking about a countersuit. Slashdot has a bunch of links that go into more detail, if you want to dig in more.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 07:11 am
I do not think the worm is connected with the SCO-Linux law suits but that it is merely getting a lift on the events.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:25 am
Thanks for the info Phoenix ;-)
0 Replies