Do you step in and when?

Linkat

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 01:30 pm
There are two types of people. Those that step in and those that just walk by and say “ain’t my business.” Now granted there are times when you ain’t your business and you should just walk by. But when do you draw the line? Or do you ever draw the line?

Is it when some one is threatened or harmed or is it when some one’s rights or could even be your own rights’ threatened? There are definitely extremes – like some one who speaks up when a person has 9 items for the 8 or less items register…to a situation where some one fell down… to the situation where some one is threatening a person with a gun. In any case, you can choose to ignore, call the authority or call to action yourself.

Do you? And when?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 726 • Replies: 2
No top replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 02:15 pm
@Linkat,
I was at a service station yesterday. This older gentleman, drove me nuts. He took his time to get back to the car, three cars behind him waiting, then he took his time washing his windscreens and finally he got in the car, after searching for his keys and slowly getting in...

The car in front of him, left...He was still stationed...by this time, I'd had enough, 5 minutes was too long.. so I went around him to the front. By the time I had put $20 petrol in and looked back, he was still there? On his mobile phone.. I can only imagine the people in the two cars behind him and the swear words...I shook my head..I really, really felt like saying something but refrained.

My thoughts there, are my up-bringing manners.

Having said that, if I am driving and some idiot pulls out I often will say something like " you right there?"..

I'll step in when I see someone short of a dollar, or a few cents. Be embarrassed that they didn't quite have enough and give it to them...What comes around goes around.

As for "danger" .. It reminded me of a really stupid thing I did once, but honestly, I know full well I'd do again...I was taking my groceries down into a carpark, I was around 30. I heard what sounded like kids playing and what looked like two kids chasing each other around a car...

All of a sudden I heard help screamed out. I started to walk towards those "kids" and noted a guy, and an older lady. He was trying to take her purse. By this stage she was on the ground in a fetal position. I ran over and stood in front of her. All of a sudden I saw this car coming towards us, and the guy looked at me, straight into my eyes, got into the car.. The driver drove a little bit more forward...I put my foot out onto the car and glared at him...

I remember telling the lady, you're alright. They stayed stationed there for what seemed like forever but probably a few seconds and then started to reverse and left.

I picked the older lady up and said you're alright they've gone. And, when she got up? It was a friend of mine... A lady who owned a clothes shop down the road, who was on Service to Youth Council for street kids as a volunteer with me...

I'll never ever forget that day. I've questioned myself why the heck I put myself in such danger but like I said, I know I'd do it again...

Same with bullys.. As a kid, I'd always befriend the ones that were picked on, which in turn made me be picked on, but I also would fight if need be, to stop that at least onto me.

IDK... Survival I think and up-bringing....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 02:46 pm
@Linkat,
I'm a step inner. That's how I ended up with a kid.

Probably the only "dangerous" time that I stepped in was when I lived in this terribly shitty, dangerous neighborhood. I was lying in bed one night and I could hear someone out on the street sobbing and wailing like they were being hurt. I called the cops. The cops weren't particularly welcome in that neighborhood. They came to my house and took a statement.

My friends couldn't believe that I would dare to be seen with the cops coming into my house and they were sure I'd set myself up for some brutal retaliation.

Nothing ever happened though.

I'm really not able to turn my back on people.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do you step in and when?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 09:59:47