Patronizing?

Letty

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:30 am
Heh!Heh! Roger. Yeah, and Phoenix is shy, too.

Actually, Rog. You say "No!" better than anyone I know.

Phoenix, my older sister tends to be a bit "over-the-toppish" and then there are times when she flat out wields the insults like a double edged sword.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:32 am
Another profound and thought-provoking thread from one of our most intelligent and philosophical members . . . hmmm . . . where's my trowel?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:38 am
ah, Setanta. There's our resident history man. You have sooooooo much to say. Care to share?

On second thought.........................
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:39 am
Well, that's why i was looking for my trowel, Miss Letty. I'd need that to lay it on any thicker . . .
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:54 am
I've tried to do the flattery thing where I knew I was bald-faced lying and admit I have difficulty with it, so generally I keep my mouth shut (not easy) if others are being insincere and the pressure is on to join the gang. I've had a friend who tried on a particularly gross outfit once and she asked what I thought. I didn't have to say anything, my face said it all and she laughed on her way to take it off.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:08 am
I have been known to get myself into a lot of trouble trying to flatter people without sincerity. I remember one time many years ago when a boss of mine walked into the office one morning with a sweater that sent everyone shrieking with laughter to the ladies' room. (It was covered with short pieces of yarn in very bright colors that stuck out at weird angles.) I was the only one left standing there. She point-blank asked me what I thought of it, and the only thing I could think of to say was..."Well, I think it's great that you're not afraid to show you have a sense of humor!"

(hooboy, that look could've killed...)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:10 am
Heeven, My daughter sent my husband a shirt for his birthday that no one and I mean NO ONE would wear. I told her so, and she laughed. I usually try to be tactful with my kids, but not this time. Couldn't bring myself to give it away, though. It has become a conversation piece.

Incidentally, I love your avatar. How do you do that thing with your hair?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:21 am
Eva, Hilarious. You still working for her?

The incident that brings this closest to home for me, is when some fellows from the golf course dropped by for a drink before they finished the circuit. One fellow, a black guy, was philosophizing about ethnicity, etc. I didn't say a word until he point blank asked me, " You aren't prejudiced are you?" I was silent for a moment, and resisted the urge to patronize him, because, quite frankly, I had to roll that over in my mind a bit. I finally replied, "I don't know." I think it surprised him, but we did become better friends after that.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:42 am
Oh no, Letty. She left town shortly after that. Good riddance, I might add.

Good answer to your friend, btw. That sort of honesty usually does lead to friendship. Funny how that works. Wink
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 10:45 am
Quote:
Incidentally, I love your avatar. How do you do that thing with your hair?

Why thank you (blush), it's au naturel you know.
Wait! Are you being sincere?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Patronizing?
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:53:00