Traditional Turkey Dinner Costs 13 Percent More

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 10:21 am
Traditional Turkey Dinner Costs 13 Percent More
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 10, 2011

WASHINGTON (AP) — It's going to cost a bit more to put a traditional Thanksgiving dinner on the table this year.

The American Farm Bureau Federation reported Thursday that a meal with turkey and all the trimmings will cost about 13 percent more this holiday.

It estimates the average cost to make a meal for 10 people is $49.20. That's $5.73 more than last year's average of $43.47.

It's a result of soaring costs for commodities that are raising prices for food makers, grocers and consumers.

The costs for nearly everything from cranberries to pumpkin pie are up. But the biggest price hike is for the main course: a 16-pound turkey costs 4 percent more this year at $21.57.

The classic Thanksgiving meal comes in at about $5 per person
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,182 • Replies: 9
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 12:29 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Pa grows a huge chunk of the punkin crop This year the summer and fall rains have caused lots of rot in the punkin crop. The punkins that made it were trestle grown.

Theres a big chunk of the turkey market that is served in the "heritage" breeds. These are old fashioned muscled and buff turkeys that are free ranging and taste like ****. Yet the douche bags will pay 3 to 5$ a pound for the damn things. Gimme a pen raised, shovel fed grain eatin dumass turkey that is artificially bred for its breast and tenderness. Then they inject it with all kinds of chemical tenderizers and flavor enhancers. YUMMMM (I am dead serious-weve tried heritage birds the last 4 years and they all suck)
ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 12:41 pm
@farmerman,
weird about the pumpkins in PA

we had a veritable glut on the market in southern Ontario this year - really big pumpkins for $2 and $3 - they were in the $7 - $10 range last year

too bad I don't like pumpkins for anything except smashing
engineer

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 01:33 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

The American Farm Bureau Federation reported Thursday that a meal with turkey and all the trimmings will cost about 13 percent more this holiday.
The costs for nearly everything from cranberries to pumpkin pie are up. But the biggest price hike is for the main course: a 16-pound turkey costs 4 percent more this year at $21.57.

If the turkey is only up 4% ($0.83) and the entire meal is up 13% ($5.73), how is the "biggest price hike" the turkey?
Ragman

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 06:07 pm
@engineer,
Maybe the greatest hike in any ONE item is the turkey. Just a guess.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 06:12 pm
@ehBeth,
much of the punkin crop gets canned for pie filling. Industrial size punkin cans are like one to five gallons .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 06:13 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

It estimates the average cost to make a meal for 10 people is $49.20.

But the biggest price hike is for the main course: a 16-pound turkey costs 4 percent more this year at $21.57.

the turkey accounts for the biggest cost in the meal, so any increase there will probably have a bigger impact than an increase in other components of the meal

other components likely have larger percentage increases

( you can do just about anything with statistics Laughing )
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 07:30 pm
I aksed the guy at Home Depot: "Where are the punkins?"
He looked away and loftily replied, "The pumpkins are over there." (pointing)
ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 07:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Home Depot? don't you get them in grocery stores?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:54 pm
@ehBeth,
When my older brother became old enough to get a hunting license, he always killed pheasants with his bow and arrow for our Thanksgiving dinner---and for other meals while they were in season. We had lots of San Francisco Bay geese meals during the gun hunting season. He even hunted bobcats by bow and arrow and gave the meat to the Asian restaurants, who loved the meat. My brother kept the skins for himself.

My brother was a national bow and arrow competition winner.

BBB
0 Replies