'This Is Only A Test;' National Alert System Gets Trial Run Wed. 2PM EST

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 11:42 am
Quote:
Don't be alarmed at 2 p.m. ET today when broadcasters across the U.S., including NPR stations, take part in the first-ever nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/11/09/142173204/this-is-only-a-test-national-alert-system-gets-trial-run-today

Don't be alarmed! It's only a test. The REAL end of the world is scheduled for January 2nd, 2012.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,907 • Replies: 12

NickFun

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 12:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hey, I thought the world wasn't going to end until November of next year!
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 01:01 pm
@NickFun,
The question that begs to be asked..., will it end before or after my birthday next year? I need to make plans for that milestone.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 01:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
I couldn't understand a single word in the test emergency broadcast announcement. Way too much static that wasn't there a minute before the announcement started on the AM radio station.

I'd say that was a failure of the Emergency Broadcast System.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 01:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
By the time they ever get around to actually needing this system they're going to have to put it on a podcast or YouTube to get anyone to actually hear/see it Wink
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 01:57 pm
@rosborne979,
Disaster gone viral....
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 08:30 pm
Did the national Emergency Alert System mistakenly play Lady Gaga?
FEMA sent out a live emergency alert notification that was supposed to be accompanied by a 'this is only a test' disclaimer Wednesday. The disclaimer did not always happen. Some observers said they heard a Lady Gaga song instead.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/1109/Did-the-national-Emergency-Alert-System-mistakenly-play-Lady-Gaga
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 04:25 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Disaster gone viral....
It's starting to look like the system itself is a disaster.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 11:10 am
It was over so fast I missed it entirely. What a ripoff.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 07:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm not sure what anyone hopes to accomplish with the EBS anyway. How is that whining noise any more useful to me than all the news stations which will swarm on to any emergency story warranting the EBS anyway?

What's the strategy with this thing?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 08:18 pm
@rosborne979,
I think it's utterly useless and doomed to fail as well. I think ultimately they are trying to move onto a nationwide text (cell phone) system and other digital avenues beyond the radio and TV broadcasts. Not sure how this test will evolve and make that ambitious leap from traditional tech mediums to cell and smart phones.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 11:26 pm
@rosborne979,
Not sure Ros, but they may take all the other stations off the air so noone can home in on the station. That used to be a major navagation aid to aircraft, and I don't suppose anyone updated the system just because missiles have different guidance systems systems than those used by aircraft forty years ago.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 09:41 am
@roger,
I hope they bring back those nice looking air raid sirens and reopen the air raid shelters.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 'This Is Only A Test;' National Alert System Gets Trial Run Wed. 2PM EST
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 08:17:27